Cat delete questions

maplesyrup

Reaction score
okay so i got my headers and cat back ordered, my old cat is rusted to **** and where i live (very rural area) the cops don't give a damn about if you have a cat on the exhaust or not, ive ran my 6.0l truck without for years, had no problems with the law, my question is, if I get rid of the cat am I gunna start getting the check engine light, and what would i do with the other o2 sensor? :huh:

paypalbid

Reaction score
Just buy a cheap catalytic converter. I had the Megan Racing test pipe with O2 sensor bung which still trigger the check engine light. There are more negative effects than benefits. You will lose noticeable torque and gain unnoticeable horsepower, probably gain real 2hp at redline. Your mpg will go down significantly by 30%, its like throwing money down the drain for some noise. If you want to experiment with it that is fine. I just got tired of getting 20mpg and no value in any power gain.

oakshaun

Reaction score
I stopped at an exhaust man yesterday here in nc i have no emissions test safety inspection only. i'm pretty sure my cat is clogged up bad but, he said first off it'd be $80 to cut it off let me clear it out and weld it back on. EIGHTY bucks? a new cat that he had or could order was close to $300 in the past i trust what this man tells me and he told me if just did that my car would get 8-12mpg. but my cat's ****ed up and both o2 sensors are throwing codes one is new the other OG and i'm getting at LEAST 25 mpg?
i don't want to do much of anything on this car twice. so what's my BEST option not cheapest if it comes too it when my hands get better i'll do it myself my welding really needs practice anyways.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
gut it and do the defouler trick so tht u don't throw a CEL

lmayoral2191

Reaction score
I have straight pipe on my car, worst thing ive done too my car. My gas mileage went down, have a check engine light on. My front 02 is showing too much activity and dumping extra fuel in. I recommend replacingnit with a new catalytic converter..I know im switching back too one once I get the funds

Craize

Reaction score
In Virginia the fine for a buisness if caught gutting your catalytic convertor is anywhere from $25,000 to $250,000. Have the state poster up in the shop (OSHA crap) but never seen it inforced before lol.

Gman86

Reaction score
gut it and do the defouler trick so tht u don't throw a CEL

Yes sir. Been running the Megan Racing test pipe with defoulers with no issue for 2mos. Bought and installed a new o2 sensor so dont have to bother with it for awhile. Lazy i guess.

oakshaun

Reaction score
i'm replacing mine with one off of a 97 possibly tomorrow. i don't have enough to replace my o2 sensors so, should i wait until i do have enough to prevent these bad sensors from ruining my new cat?

Back