J30A1 heat soak problem on 1999 Accord? (Stalling on warm starts)

Kazinsal

Reaction score
Hey all,

I've been struggling with my 1999 J30A1 coupe for the past six months or so where the engine stalls after a warm start if I don't let the car sit for 40-45 minutes. I've found a relevant technical service bulletin (00-024) for the 2000 J30A1s where an incorrect combination of fuel pressure regulator and PCM configuration causes heat soaked engines running gas in colder climates (so-called "winter mix") to fail to idle properly and stall if not given 30-45 minutes to cool down, but nothing for the 1999, like mine.

I am wondering if anyone here has encountered such a problem on the 1999 J30A1s despite the fuel pressure regulator being different and the ignition system using a traditional distributor setup instead of individual coil packs, and if this is likely the problem.

Before anyone asks, yes, I have replaced the main relay. I have also replaced the ignition coil assembly and the complete distributor assembly.

Best regards, and thanks to anyone who can help.

dawg316

Reaction score
victoria BC what up lol. im over in vancouver

anyways back to your problem. when it stalls you have to determine whats going on beside firing the parts cannon at it.

Either its running out of fuel or running out of spark.

when it stalls. this is the perfect time to do you diagnosing. its loosing spark or fuel controll. id pull a plug wire. and test for spark and see if its there or not. try that and get back to me

Kazinsal

Reaction score
I've had mechanics look at it and they can confirm it has spark when it fails, and I can hear the fuel pump priming (plus it goes fine when I hold the engine at 2000 rpm for a couple minutes, so fuel is being delivered).

Since it's not an actual ignition problem and it's not a fuel pump problem I'm thinking it's a pressure problem, and the 2000s having that regulator problem is making me wonder if my 1999 has something similar.

Some testing after I got home from work:
  • Shut the car off, start immediately: works fine.
  • Shut the car off, start after 5 minutes: works fine.
  • Shut the car off, start after 10 minutes: stalls.

dawg316

Reaction score
when it stalls after sitting for +10 mins after a warm drive cycle.

dose it strugle to restart. dose it try to start and dosnt

or dose it struggle the first little bit but fire right up afterwards?

any check engine lights or codes ?

Kazinsal

Reaction score
Fires up right away, just like it does when it's cold Then if I don't give it gas for a couple minutes it'll stall. Like there's no fuel pressure unless I hit the throttle.

No CEL or codes. :(

dawg316

Reaction score
kinda unclear , but can you type in details and specifics about when it happens.

So when the car is shut off after a warm drive cycle, after sitting for 10 mins + it will restart just fine. but then it takes a few minutes for it to stall ?

or are you saying that once it restarts the car cant hold an idle and dies?

Blazinqwickly

Reaction score
The problem you are describing is exactly what my GSR did when the fuel filter and injectors were clogging up and causing the pump to work way harder then it needed to.

Have you confirmed that all the injectors are spraying a proper atomization pattern and that it is properly firing on all cylinders all the time?

Mine would fire and run just fine, but when pulling into a parking spot slowly or cranking it right back up it, the car would stumble or die unless I forced more gas into system via throttle. I believe because of the pressure needed to push past the debris in the fuel system/ dirty injectors is why giving more fuel helps...
But then when it comes to a idle there simply was not enough pressure to push past the junk and gave a weak or poor spray pattern and it would just choke and die.

Back