In depth audio questions, pros please help

Cherryelky305

Reaction score
2002 accord. All stock audio

Im installing a navi unit from a 2009 crv. Keeping the stock speakers for now.

The crv had a factory amp, so i need an amp now.

Ive been told i need a line out converter for an amp to work, also have heard of line drivers. My understanding is that the voltage from the navi decides what i need?

Im looking at using a alpine mrv-v500 amp, this is for four channels, and a sub later if i want to add it. Can this amp do a dumbed down version of a LOC? It has speaker level inputs and rca inputs? I see this on alpines site

"The V-Power's 4-channel speaker level inputs connect directly to any head unit, without the need for external converters. This makes the V-Power amplifiers ideal for upgrading factory and aftermarket systems."

If i need a line out converter im looking at a lc6i from audio control. Or do i need a line driver?

Any thoughts or help is appriciated. Thanks

Last edited:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
A line driver boosts voltage. This is for low end head units at output 2volts or so.

A line converter drops speaker level outputs to rca.

I don't know what kind of output the crv units puts out but if it had an amp than I would say it has low level outputs. If you know what you are doing than you could solder some rca connectors on the outputs and use patch cables.

Cherryelky305

Reaction score
More research has reveled that the crv unit outputs a low level differential balanced signal.

Low level is easy to deal with but the differential balanced part is where careful amp selection comes into play.

I also only have two channels on the harness as rca. I need to get terminals to add to the connector to get the other two channels.

Its not impossible. Just more expensive it seems

Cherryelky305

Reaction score
Having troble figuring out what amps do and dont support a differential balanced input signal.

Do i have to contact tech support for these companies and ask or should it be listed somewhere?

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Not many amp accept those types of inputs. Most amps from what I know are low level inputs. This is just the majority of amplifiers. There is not a huge demand for amplifiers that accept differential balanced inputs.

Why couldn't you get the amplifier from the crv?

Cherryelky305

Reaction score
I thought about tracking one down but it would be difficult to find oem connectors to wire it all properly.

All in all its just as difficult i suspect.

I did find a alpine pdx-f4 accepts differential balanced inputs, and is reasonably priced at about $350

SupraGuy

Reaction score
2002 accord. All stock audio

Im installing a navi unit from a 2009 crv. Keeping the stock speakers for now.

The crv had a factory amp, so i need an amp now.

Ive been told i need a line out converter for an amp to work, also have heard of line drivers. My understanding is that the voltage from the navi decides what i need?
if you pull the amp from the CRV system, then that's the best solution, and won't require any other aftermarket things. It should also plug in just fine to the factory wiring. I would probably avoid any kind of adapters at this stage, but in general, factory amplifier systems will have a line-out voltage that is similar to many aftermarket systems, but using a proprietary harness.

if you can't get the factory amp (Which would end the whole project there and then with a plug-n-play solution) then you'll need a wiring diagram for the output, and probably the wiring harness from the donor vehicle between the head unit and amplifier, as well as a wiring harness adapter for an aftermarket head unit to the honda dash harness. Tap into the deck/amp harness to pick out your signal out, splice that into a set of RCA plugs to the amplifier, and then connect the other wires for power and illumination into the aftermarket adapter, as well as the speaker outputs from the amplifier.
Im looking at using a alpine mrv-v500 amp, this is for four channels, and a sub later if i want to add it. Can this amp do a dumbed down version of a LOC? It has speaker level inputs and rca inputs? I see this on alpines site

"The V-Power's 4-channel speaker level inputs connect directly to any head unit, without the need for external converters. This makes the V-Power amplifiers ideal for upgrading factory and aftermarket systems."

If i need a line out converter im looking at a lc6i from audio control. Or do i need a line driver?

Any thoughts or help is appriciated. Thanks
For the aftermarket amp, the speaker level inputs are needed IF YOU HAVE THE FACTORY AMP in which case you probably don't need the aftermarket amp at all. The regular RCA level inputs are probably adequate, if you can locate the appropriate line level outputs from the head unit. The amplifier's gain control will be up to the task of converting the signal. A line driver MAY help if your amp is going to be a long ways from the front of the car, but should not be needed for the kind of SQ that you're going to be looking at from factory speakers. Odds are good that you'll never notice the difference.

The fewer things you have in the signal path the better, IMO. Either use the factory amp, OR use an aftermarket amp. I'd only even consider both in the case where you're adding a subwoofer to the mix, where you'd tap in to the rear speaker output from the factory amp to grab signal to a low-pass filter.

I have a background as an MECP, and I build IASCA SQ cars for a number of years, though full disclosure, I got out of that game before the 6GA was ever built. Nowadays my mobile electronics work is all done for my own car as a hobby.

Cherryelky305

Reaction score
Thanks for the reply.

Yes i understand the fewer things in line the better, and the limitations of factory speakers.

Im confident at this point that an aftermarket amp like a alpine pdx f4 can do what i want. Its four channel and accepts low line differential balanced signals, which the factory navi unit outputs.

At this point its a matter of getting rca's out of the navi unit and hooking it up and seeing how it sounds.

I do appriciate the input. Our local stereo shop insisted i needed a loc but in my research that seems like wasted money when an amp can take the navi's signal just fine.

Cherryelky305

Reaction score
I need a source or part number for terminated wires to insert into the navi connector that i can solder on rca connectors to.

Having trouble finding these

I fear i may need to buy a factory dash harness just to rob a few wires.

Cherryelky305

Reaction score
Update:

The alpine pdx f4 is compatible with honda navi units low level differential balanced outputs. Sounds stock.

The unit does output a sub signal so a five channel amp and a sub would be the way to get the most out of it.

Im glad its working and finished. All in all its still a $1000 mod. Many will choose an aftermarket solution but this is clean and factory. Happy wiring!

Last edited:
Back