Oil filter length

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Like many people I often do the '5qts oil+filter for $24' deal at Autozone, Advance, etc. But I've noticed filters from Bosch or similar are shorter in length than the Honda OEM filter (meaning if you stand them up next to each other the Honda filter is taller).

Seems to me the Honda filter is designed the way it is for a reason, does it matter if you use a shorter one? I did use a Bosch once and didn't notice any ill effects, but still wonder about it...

kn0x47

Reaction score
some companies make less sizes so the filters can fit more vehicles and it saves them money. There really isnt a whole lot of difference from filter to filter. A shorter filter may increase oil pressure a little but that's not really a bad thing.

Varnell

Reaction score
I bought a FRAM last week and it was longer. My low oil pressure light has also flickered on occasion. Apparently that's because FRAM filters too much. I've wondered if it's because of the extra length, though.

Also, I can't get the damn thing off. Don't buy a FRAM for our car.

twofast4u

Reaction score
Personally, I've started using Denso filters. Because they are an OEM company that Toyota uses, and if you order in bulk, they are fairly cheap. But also, because my sisters 2000 Nissan altima that has the KA24DE motor uses the exact same filter number as our f23A.

james'99

Reaction score
I use the mobil 1 filters. Haven't had an issue but did know that fram filters tend to be larger. Surprised what happened to Varnell with them.

Small side note, 4 cyl takes the same filter as V6.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback, just starting to accumulate the filters I get with the deal because I was using Honda filters to be safe. Might just start using the Bosch ones or whatever else come with the deal, but I'll still have to get the crush washers.

A shorter filter may increase oil pressure a little but that's not really a bad thing.

This is what I was thinking, that there was supposed to be a certain amount of room for the oil. But didn't know what the effects might be.

I bought a FRAM last week and it was longer. My low oil pressure light has also flickered on occasion. Apparently that's because FRAM filters too much. I've wondered if it's because of the extra length, though.

Also, I can't get the damn thing off. Don't buy a FRAM for our car.

Sure you got the right one? Maybe a different thread/pitch...was it easy to put on?

Personally, I've started using Denso filters. Because they are an OEM company that Toyota uses, and if you order in bulk, they are fairly cheap. But also, because my sisters 2000 Nissan altima that has the KA24DE motor uses the exact same filter number as our f23A.

I'd be interested in more info about this. Where do you order them from? And is there a part number?

I use the mobil 1 filters. Haven't had an issue but did know that fram filters tend to be larger. Surprised what happened to Varnell with them.

Small side note, 4 cyl takes the same filter as V6.

How does the Mobil 1 filter compare in size to the Honda?

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^Damn, that is awful. Don't even see how that's possible...hope you find a way to get yours off. Thanks for the advice.

I always hand tighten and that's it. I turn it until I start to feel resistance, then I do another 3/4 to full turn or so.

james'99

Reaction score
How does the Mobil 1 filter compare in size to the Honda?[/QUOTE]

Trying to think off the top of my head but I honestly don't know. Once I restock, I will try to do the comparison.

I've been on an OEM kick so I may switch to Honda filters.

Back