DIY: Fixing sagging doors (due to worn lower hinges) in about 30 minutes

001Stunna

Reaction score
I recently noticed that my passenger side door lower hinge had developed some play. On closer inspection it seems it had caused the door to sag enough that it was very very slightly rubbing on the fender when closing/opening. To replace the hinges locally the parts were about $40/hinge. Online it was a bit cheaper but after shipping still close to.

In the end what i ended up doing was adding spacers/washers to the door to push it back to proper spec. I ended up doing it to both front doors to bring them back to even gap all around.

Tools needed
-Jack
-Cloth
-Small flat head screw-driver
-12mm socket and the smallest ratchet you have
-4-8 washers(about 2mm thick)
-Penetrating lubricant (optional)

Step by Step
-Open your door fully extended
-Spray some PBlaster on the two bolts that screw into the door for the lower hinge.
-Use your socket and wrench to loosen the two bolts(but do not remove them yet)
-Use your jack to support the door's weight by placing it at the end/corner of the door. Use the cloth between the jack/door so no scratching occurs. Lift the jack only until it supports the door and takes the load off the lower hinge.
-Fully take out the two bolts
-Jack the door very slightly up to give yourself about 2-3mm of room to slide the washers between the hinge flat mount and the door.
-Use the small flat head screw driver to hold the washer in place so it doesn't slide and fall down as you insert the bolts back on and slide them through the hinge and the washer.
-Start screwing them in by hand to avoid cross threading.
-Standing between the car and the door, grab the door from the bottom and pull it towards yourself as you fully tighten the 2 bolts. Doing so brings the door in and makes the door flush with the fender.
-Lower the jack and fully tighten the bolts down to 22ft/lbs
-Test the door throughout its full range of movement and verify no rubbing is occurring anywhere, check that it grabs on to lock and releases and check for an even gap all around. Do not slam the door shut!
-Re-grease all hinges if necessary.

Done :)

Total cost
$.20 for 4 washers (assuming 2 washers per each front door)

*NOTE* If you are adding any more then 1 washer(1.5-2mm washer) per bolt, you SHOULD buy/use some longer bolts. The original bolts are M8X1.25MM and 22mm long.

accord199802.jpg

toronto2013022000005.jpg

Last edited:
Back