Lightened OEM Crank Pulley?

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
I've already been digging around on this forum for info about lightweight pulleys. Based on my research (and popular opinion), I decided that an aluminum crank pulley isn't the best idea, since it has no harmonic balancer and will damage the crankshaft over time. And apparently, nobody knows of any aftermarket pulleys that include a balancer (which makes zero sense to me since this is a pretty vital component, but whatever).

The idea I'm tossing around now is that maybe I can take an OEM pulley to a machine shop and have them lighten and balance it by drilling a series of holes all around it. Let me know what you guys think of this!

xci.ed6

Reaction score
yeah, you *can* do this...
...but I have NO idea how it affects the balancer...

floating doc

Reaction score
I wouldn't try it myself, but that's not why I'm replying. I installed a Competition Clutch 12 lb flywheel with my clutch swap recently. That decreased the rotating mass behind my f23 by at least ten pounds, and I'm pretty confident that I'm not increasing the risk of damaging the engine.

The drivability is only slightly affected. It won't pull itself away from a stop at idle without blipping the throttle, but otherwise, it's quite easy to drive.

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
I wouldn't try it myself, but that's not why I'm replying. I installed a Competition Clutch 12 lb flywheel with my clutch swap recently. That decreased the rotating mass behind my f23 by at least ten pounds, and I'm pretty confident that I'm not increasing the risk of damaging the engine.

The drivability is only slightly affected. It won't pull itself away from a stop at idle without blipping the throttle, but otherwise, it's quite easy to drive.

Yeah except mine's an automatic, so I don't know if that's an option...

xci.ed6

Reaction score
nope, a flexplate, being similar to a flywheel, is already as light as possible. The torque converter is filled with fluid.

Honestly, lightening a stock, .5 hour, re-balancing, .5 hour. A total of 1 hour. Normal machine shop is $100/hr, so $100. Plus install, say 1hr, $100, belts, $50. $250 total.

Stock TQ converter, and flexplate, maybe 30lbs. So your getting a flywheel cut a 2lb from a 4lb,....Save 2lbs, off a 34lbs 'unit', a 6% loss, for $250? No thanks, there are other priorities.

619rcr

Reaction score
What's the overall gain you are looking for? Quicker acceleration or more power? You probably won't notice either one with this idea.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
You won't gain anything from it. Most of the time these are used for racing purposes. There was ONE company that made a H22/F23 lightened crank pulley with a dampener. I can't remember the name of it though.

If you want to remove some reciprocating mass, remove the balance shafts.

619rcr

Reaction score
Does Fluidampr make a lighter pulley? I don't see one on their webpage?

Alpha_Onion

Reaction score
You won't gain anything from it. Most of the time these are used for racing purposes. There was ONE company that made a H22/F23 lightened crank pulley with a dampener. I can't remember the name of it though.

If you want to remove some reciprocating mass, remove the balance shafts.

Do you have a picture or diagram of these "balance shafts"?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Search the site, I googled it, and first link comes to here.

Fluidampr is the brand, they used to make one, or you could make one from another engine work as well. I swear there was another brand though.

Back