Comparing a couple cars, input? *bought - page 2*

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Nice buy i work on toyotas all day long. One piece of advice dont wait every 90-100k for the world service trans fluid to flush, it says too in the service manuals but this was done by toyota to please consumers who complained on doing it every 25-30k. We recommend doing it every 60-80k your tranny will thank you. Hit me up if you have any questions about it. Toyotas are very reliable just boring (seriously i cant count how many yotas and lexus i work on that are 300k + in miles and resale is fantastic on them)

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^I appreciate your perspective, thanks for posting. When I went in for the 60k mile service the service advisor told me the transmission fluid should be changed every 60k miles, but that it would be fine as long as it was done before I reached 90k miles. Since I have always been a DIY'er with my cars I asked him why I could not do the transmission fluid change myself, and he stated that it takes special tools or equipment. So out of curiosity I asked about what this entails, and on the 60k mile service document there were two options shown...1) Regular trans fluid change, which was $180 or so I think....and 2) World standard trans fluid change, which was $240 or so. I asked him what the difference in the fluid was, like viscosity or grade, etc and he couldn't tell me anything. So I decided to wait on doing it so I can read up on it and understand the details.

Any input on what the difference is or if one trans service lasts longer than the other? I will take a pic of the service check sheet, but you've probably seen it.

Yeah Toyota used to have some excitement in the brand when they made the Supra, MR2, Celica, etc. And at least the Venza was a different and ventured into an upscale market a little more. Toyotas aren't terrible looking but they are pretty boring, I always have to laugh at Camry commercials when they try to make it sound like it's an exciting and edgy car. The Venza isn't a lot of fun but it is a good driver, and I do enjoy driving it a hell of a lot more than the Cobalt we had because it is so much nicer. So I am at least attempting to make it look a little cooler and set it apart. :)

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Not sure of the actual difference between type iv most older toyotas used and the newer world service but i do know that you should stick with world service the newer trannys have had bad reactions to t4. Only reason you cant do the flush or even a drain and fill is toyota did away with the trans stick. That and i cant remember for sure on the venza but i know the tundras are this way that you need a program called tech stream to check the fluid level and its done at a certain temperature range. If you dont want to pay dealer prices look for a Toyota only shop thats what i work for we charge cheaper than the dealer and the work is warrantied and because most of the shops are staffes by toyota techs are if your luck by three toyota master techs like mine it wont go against any warranty on the car. But good choice i hardly ever see venzas at work and if i do its small issues. If you need anything just pm me i got access to any and all info on venzas. Let me know what year your venza is and any other info like engine size, hybrid, or fwd etc. Ill look tomorrow at work for the exact steps for a trans flush and see if its one you have to take in. The older pruis are suppose to be this way but you can actually do it at home. Also one other thing stick with toyotas super long life coolant (the pink coolant) it works alot better than normal auto store coolant.

On a side note i get to drive a few turbo mr2 and some older altrac celicas even for as old as they are it still puts a smile on my face.

Last edited:

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
Just looked up about 11 venza you can do it at home just need a pump of some sort to pump the ws into the trans. Let me know and ill get you the exact procedure to do it. Very simple though.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
:slap: you're driving the wrong toyotas :lawl:

Ok Toyota makes ONE car designed to be fun. :lawl:

I think the Venza would be more fun if it was the 3.5L AWD. Still like driving it more than the sterile Camry loaner we had though.

Not sure of the actual difference between type iv most older toyotas used and the newer world service but i do know that you should stick with world service the newer trannys have had bad reactions to t4. Only reason you cant do the flush or even a drain and fill is toyota did away with the trans stick. That and i cant remember for sure on the venza but i know the tundras are this way that you need a program called tech stream to check the fluid level and its done at a certain temperature range. If you dont want to pay dealer prices look for a Toyota only shop thats what i work for we charge cheaper than the dealer and the work is warrantied and because most of the shops are staffes by toyota techs are if your luck by three toyota master techs like mine it wont go against any warranty on the car. But good choice i hardly ever see venzas at work and if i do its small issues. If you need anything just pm me i got access to any and all info on venzas. Let me know what year your venza is and any other info like engine size, hybrid, or fwd etc. Ill look tomorrow at work for the exact steps for a trans flush and see if its one you have to take in. The older pruis are suppose to be this way but you can actually do it at home. Also one other thing stick with toyotas super long life coolant (the pink coolant) it works alot better than normal auto store coolant.

On a side note i get to drive a few turbo mr2 and some older altrac celicas even for as old as they are it still puts a smile on my face.

Awesome, thank you for the advice. I normally don't buy into brand specific trans oil/coolant but this sounds like it could possibly be an exception. It seems like not letting the dealer do the trans fluid change could void the warranty, definitely want to make sure that doesn't happen. But would love to be able to do it cheaper...how can I go about finding out if having a Toyota certified shop do it would void the warranty or not? I'm sure me doing it myself definitely would. But it would be good to know how anyway so I can do it after the warranty is up. I have heard some people talking about Tech Stream on ToyotaNation, where can you buy that? And is there somewhere I can buy the pink coolant cheaper than what the dealer sells it for?

That's cool you get to drive MR2's/Celica AT's.

Just looked up about 11 venza you can do it at home just need a pump of some sort to pump the ws into the trans. Let me know and ill get you the exact procedure to do it. Very simple though.

Sweet. Ok ours is a 2011 2.7L LE FWD w/Comfort Pkg and leather interior.

Btw I don't suppose you get a discount on OEM Toyota parts?

Last edited:

Eclipse99fwb

Reaction score
I will copy the instructions tomorrow for you. Not sure if you can order tech stream but ill ask. As far as warranty check with your dealership but i know ours wont as long as the customers have the receipt showing we used toyota parts and the service required. I do get a discount on toyota parts also lexus, honda, and acura since we work only on these, i use it alot for my wifes camry. Just let me lnow what you would need and i can tell what my cost would be through work. As far as ordering parts im sure some dealers allow online ordering like honda dealers but not sure where to look as we go through our dealership and if they dont have it they look at one of the national warehouse s.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Well, the car was crashed Tuesday, freakin depressing. My wife and son were in the car, thank God they are both fine. This Venza was a great car, never gave us any serious problems since we bought it and any mild problems were easily or cheaply fixed. It was nice and did everything we asked of it, I'll miss it.

We are waiting to hear what insurance will give us for it. What value does insurance use to estimate what we get? Dealer trade in or private sale? Something else? Never been in this situation. They already told us to expect 1/3 of whatever they would have valued it at to be subtracted for towing and whatever else is involved so my expectations are low. I'm guessing it's totaled. I didn't try to start it afterward since there was oil everywhere. Airbags deployed.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to its worth? Why is KBB trade in so much lower than NADA?

2011 Toyota Venza
2.7L FWD LE
Comfort package (auto lift gate, push button start, etc)
Leather interior
Gray exterior
Great condition (a few minor scratches/blemishes in paint but nothing deep. Maybe one or two small door dings)
125,000 miles
Serviced at dealer for its whole life
Bought CPO with 55k miles
Was in 1 accident previously, my wife got rear ended. Car was fixed at Toyota Dealership body shop.
No mechanical defects, everything worked

NADA

20190822_114044 by C B, on Flickr

KBB

20190822_114541 by C B, on Flickr

20190822_114520 by C B, on Flickr

Pics: Totaled I assume

20190820_170332 by C B, on Flickr

20190820_170430 by C B, on Flickr

20190820_170424 by C B, on Flickr

20190820_170416 by C B, on Flickr

RIP old friend, thanks for the memories.

Yes I get emotionally attached to my cars haha.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
damn... at least everyone is safe! what r u getting for a replacement?

Back