Car won't run past 4k rpms.

2000Accord

Reaction score
So as i was driving to work early this morning everything was going fine, then about halfway there i started to go up a hill and hit the gas a little bit and my car revved the 4k rpms and wouldnt go any higher. Once it hit's 4k the rpm needle just bounces left and right and the car kindly jerks. So i hit the brake and just take it easy then hit the gas again after about 2 or 3 minutes and does the same thing. Right after this happens my check engine light comes on. Also, when i got to work i shut the car off turned it back and and the rpms went down below 500 and acted like the car would die then suddenly would go back up. It also does that when i stop and stop signs or red lights. Anyone know what the problem might be? I thought for the rpms going so low that it could possibly be a vacuum hose but not real sure. As for the rpms not going past 4k i'm stumped and don't know what could have caused that. I don't think it's the transmission but then again i could be wrong. Any help is appreciated. thanks

vtec2000

Reaction score
might be the map sensor on top of the throttle body i had that problem when i was messing with my intake. also you can go to auto zone and borrow their scanner to check for codes

2000Accord

Reaction score
Yeah i plan on going to auto zone one day that i'm off and checking the codes.. Thanks for you're help man.

ACCORD ACE

Reaction score
same thing happened to me check your oil level it could be that your drain plug isnt tight enough....the code it threw was a vtec malfunction...and i was just low on oil

2000Accord

Reaction score
Thanks guys, i appreciate you're help. Checked oil and it was a little low so i put some in it and drove it a ways without even trying to rev it. I let itsit overnight got in it this morning and it didn't do it. Thanks.

Back