Fixing warped/deformed polyurethane lip

blackcord

Reaction score
So I order a polyu mugen style lip from BaysonR a couple of weeks ago and it came as a whole straight piece and not rolled up and folded as I was expecting. So I said to myself that this was a good thing since I was thinking that I needed to lay it out in the sun for a day before installing it. But since it is so friggin cold here right now (below freezing), that wasnt going to happen!!

Open up the packaging and this is what I found :madrun:

I searched up the forum and found TheBax has this problem and some guys posted that he should do some "plastic welding". http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=39822&highlight=deformed+lip (BTW Bro, sorry to hear about your accident )
I was like :wtf1: How the hell was I going to get this straightened out. When I tried to straighten out one portion, it waved on another :eusa_doh:

Well since I was going to wait a couple of weeks when the weather warms up anyway, I decided to use 2 piece of wood and clamps and see if this can help:

And after only one day sitting in my basement, here are the results!!:boink:

All I can say is that this is a major improvement!!:rock: Now I just cannot wait to take off my crapass ABS lip and put this one on!!

KO iNfAmOuS

Reaction score
Good stuff! I preferred the, put it on your car and let it sit in the sun and hopefully it will fix itself method lmao. Nice idea!

blackcord

Reaction score
Good stuff! I preferred the, put it on your car and let it sit in the sun and hopefully it will fix itself method lmao. Nice idea!

Yeah, but you would be pulling and tugging like crazy all day trying to get that warped crap to fit on your car correct. This will make it sooooo much easier.

tkd102

Reaction score
Awesome man.They're coming out with the full OEM style lip kit for the 98-00 coupe real soon. Polyurethane. :naughty:

99HonAccord

Reaction score
I went to pick up my lip from the body shop today from getting painted and when i went to get it, my lip looked just like that :(

juiCyyaccOrd

Reaction score
question - if it's on the car, due to weather conditions, would it become like that ON the car? =\

blackcord

Reaction score
question - if it's on the car, due to weather conditions, would it become like that ON the car? =\

I found that pressing down one hump causes it to hump up next to where I was pressing. I think by doing this, you will eventually get it on straight, but definitely not without a struggle. Doing the wood clamping method before hand will make the installation go much quicker.

Back