Bad strut mount?

xJx

Reaction score
Hi guys! I know I can always come to the site for some good advice and help so here is my problem.

When driving I always hear a "bobbling" sound coming from my driver rear area, sometimes I even hear "metal on metal" type sound. It's hard to explain. I usually hear the bobbling sound when driving on bumpy roads and the metal on metal sound occurs when the shock/strut hits a bigger bump or hump in the road.

Here is a little short clip of the top of the suspension. I had the car jacked up and pushed the rear wheel up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gg5cCB_3diA&feature=youtu.be

My thoughts is that it may be a bad strut mount? But I'm not sure. Any help/suggestions would be very appreciated!

Last edited:

truWarier02

Reaction score
I have had a similar problem with my rear type1's recently. I'm thinking the spring is a bit loose so when I go over a bumpy surface, it's probably moving and clanking on the spring perches or top mount. I'm going to check out my preload sometime this week.

There's also a ringing noise coming from my rear passenger section; not sure exactly where it's coming from though, possibly something knocked loose inside the door panel or coilover noise.

xJx

Reaction score
it means you need coilovers.

^ precisely

Lol man I wish but no funds :(

I have had a similar problem with my rear type1's recently. I'm thinking the spring is a bit loose so when I go over a bumpy surface, it's probably moving and clanking on the spring perches or top mount. I'm going to check out my preload sometime this week.

There's also a ringing noise coming from my rear passenger section; not sure exactly where it's coming from though, possibly something knocked loose inside the door panel or coilover noise.

Interesting thought. Let me know how that goes! I should check that too.

xJx

Reaction score
I jacked up the car again to check the possible spring play on the strut and pushed the wheel down and saw that there is some spacing between the top hat and spring.

What cause this? the other side does not do it. Is it just a matter of re-installing the spring and top hat?

Thanks truwarier02 for the tip. I would not have checked for spring play!

619rcr

Reaction score
Have you done a bounce test on the struts? Push down on the corners one at a time and let the car start bouncing... LR & RR and see how long it takes the car to stop bouncing. If one side takes longer, You could have a weak strut. Strut mounts usually pop loudly over speed bumps. Go about 20mph without slowing down on a bump that you wont scrape on. Listen for the pop. Broken mount will look cracked or pop up with the weight of the car on it.
Good luck.

Last edited:

4door accord02

Reaction score
I have this same problem when I installed my new gc coilovers with my existing Koni yellows... What does the strut mount look like though?? Could be mine is broken also?

truWarier02

Reaction score
I'm still getting a clunking noise from both rear coilovers, at least I think they're the culprit. When I push down on my trunk, it's quiet. It only clunks on uneven roads. I checked the top nut, spring perches and bottom mount perch and they're nice and tight.

I google'd "function form coilover rear clunk" and came across a thread on Acurazine mentioning something about a spring rubber isolator that sits between the spring and perches. IDK? Anyone experiencing/have experienced this particular issue?

ens-4-6101g.jpg

And how do I check if the RSB endlinks and other components are bad, 152,000 miles on original RSB? I just assume that if I can't move the endlinks with my hand then they're okay.

Back