how to preload coilovers?

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Iv been having some problems with my D2 racing coilovers the past couple of weeks after lowering the car another 2" from going back to 17s..

The problem is, the ride is very very harsh,even on the softest setting..

When the car is jacked up I can move the spring up and down freely a good 1" or so..but when the car is lowered back it compresses back..

BUT when i hit a bump I hear it clunk as it goes free then compresses back after the bump..

I got them used and have ONLY touched the adjusting knob and the adjusting collars to lower the car..

Please help, Its really embarrassing seeing people in the car bouncing out there mind..
:sad:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
:facepalm:

Don't take this the wrong way but I'm gonna say it just b/c it makes me wonder along with a lot of the things some people on here do -

How can you spend a couple grand on turbocharging your car. Yet, not properly install suspension right.

/rant

Anyways - Take the coils off. Turn the collar under the spring until its just snug under the spring. Then make another 3-4 full turns. Thats how you preload the coilover. Your spring should NEVER move independently.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Yes sorry, I have that part now after searching, D2 called it the A-Collar..so I have the A-Collar all the way up so the spring is firm...

it says to lower the car adjust B-Collar..so its the 2nd collar under the A-collar and theres one on the bottom of the thread,But I CANNOT get that to spin! to properlly lower the car..
d2.jpg

Last edited:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Screw driver, dead blow hammer and PB Blaster to break the collar loose.

Put some anti-seize on the threads.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Thanks man, Iv been out with the d2 wrenches and a mallat but they dont wanna budge..Ill go buy some Pb blaster..
does it matter the way i try to break it loose?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Well..obviously..if the collars are right on each other you want to try and break the bottom one loose in the opposite direction.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
I have the A collar up under the spring firm..Then the middle one i can move up and down freely..But the one on the very bottom of the shock is the one im talking about..

also with the preload set, and me lowering it properly will it make the ride better? Because its been really harsh! after I messed up the preload/lowering 2" to accompany the 17s..

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
OK, so I got the front very easy...but the Rear would not budge..so now i have a 1/2finger gap up front and a bout a 2finger gap in the rear since i cannot get the collar to move!

:(

BUT the ride is smooth now*softest setting*,so im happy but need the back down 1"..

Back