Disable VTEC?

jbl

Reaction score
Has anyone ever done this? Are there any benefits or do they rely solely on the reason for disabling it in the first place (if there are-in fact-any benefits at all)? What can I expect at all?

This is for a stripped and clapped out Lemons car, not a DD or something that wll ever see highway duty again.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
without detuning the engine, you will waste gas when vtec is suppose to be engaged

jbl

Reaction score
OK. While we're racing it, and gas at the track certainly isn't the cheapest around, we're not terribly concerned with MPGs. Someone had mentioned it as a possibility before.

We're not getting everything out of this car. I still have to get off my butt and pull the codes (we can't drive it to Autozone either...got any good code-reader recommendations? Would like to have one on-hand anyhow). In the meantime, we'd come out of an 80mph sweeper (the Lightbulb, T8 at Lightning at NJMP), head into the 2,000' straight and never get past 90-95. At T7, the sharp left-hander when you come out from under the bridge, we'd get back in it and "slip" 4th everytime. It would take getting out of it just a tiny bit to get it to "catch" again. Since this is an AT, I assume the transmission is slipping, but I never saw the tach jump when it happened. To my absolutely untrained eye and ear (and with enough knowledge of vocabulary to make me dangerous), it felt like it was preserving itself. I don't want it to do that.

Again, this isn't a DD, never will be again, is racing in Lemons and we got it for $200. I'd love to keep her for a couple more races, but I'd also like to gain some more insight into what's going on in there.

BadgerType

Resident ***hole
Reaction score
We're not getting everything out of this car. I still have to get off my butt and pull the codes (we can't drive it to Autozone either...got any good code-reader recommendations?

i have a ELM 323 code reader. All you need is one 5 dollar cable. I think i still have the digimoto disc. use the reader and a laptop with the program adn you can read all the engine sensors as well as pull and delete codes

let me know

Back