Spacemonkee's '00 AV6 4door (No 56K)

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Well, kids. It looks like I'll be having my transmission rebuilt this weekend. Have a guy in LA that is going to do the whole job for $1350 out the door! Couldnt pass it up. No J32 6MT for me quite yet :(

$800 for the rebuild
$150 for the new Torque Converter
$300 for labor
$100 for charging to credit card (would have been $1250 cash)
and the kicker is... 2 year 24,000mi warranty!

Killer deal, I guess my hunt for a wrecked '03 CL type-S is over for a while.

Hopefully they don't mess anything up or half *** anything. We shall see.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Dang, pretty good deal for a V6 tranny rebuild. Don't leave that shop without looking it over and driving it.

Hope all goes well!

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Dang, pretty good deal for a V6 tranny rebuild. Don't leave that shop without looking it over and driving it.

Hope all goes well!

Thanks, Red. Definitely going to do a thorough test drive before any payment is made to make sure I don't have any signs of foul play or similar symptoms to a failing trans. I am getting an already rebuilt unit so hopefully its not just a used one, which I've seen done before. I plan to inspect the unit when I drop it off. It helps that I was a mechanic for 5 years so at least Ill know what to look for.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Well, the CG has been at the transmission shop since Sat morning. Super ghetto area in LA (45 minute drive from me). The "shop" only has outdoor parking overnight and is directly under the freeway. As a precaution I took out my sound system and other valuables to be safe. Didn't think to put the stock wheels back on and my touchscreen face plate is not removable so its in plain sight :banghead:

Dude keeps dodging my calls being super shady. I signed a work order but he never gave me a copy and the person who answers the shop phone doesn't speak English other than "call back in 30 min".
Last I spoke to him was yesterday morning and he told me he had the parts but just needs time to finish it... Today is the day he claimed it would be ready. Don't think he even started when I spoke to him yesterday.

I am getting more and more nervous with each passing minute. I just want my car back! Hopefully all in one piece! Wont be making a budget decision ever again. Hopefully my car isn't scattered around the black market already.

About to call this fool and find out if its finished. Wish me luck, kids.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
:eh: Is the lot well lit at least? Did you go there to check the place out before dropping your car off? If it's been there since 1/30 and the WO states it would be completed today, maybe you can null the contract?

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
One positive thing about the shop is that its in an auto district so it shares a parking lot with 3 other shops. Looked like they keep an eye out for each other for the most part (fingers crossed). He initially told me 3 working days to complete it and they work through Sunday. However, He said when I dropped it off that he could possibly have it done that day? Getting my hopes up. He keeps dragging it out.

Just called and the non-english speaking guy told me to call back in 45 min. So I got that going for me.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
Picked up the car last night, happy to have it back. He told me the rear trans mount is broken and needs replaced. Decided to order both front and rear Anchor brand mounts and do the urathane fill on them. Should be here by tomorrow and fill them for install this weekend.

Shifts a little hard but no slipping so far and I actually have a 3rd gear which previously had little to no grab under power. I can feel the broken trans mount but overall everything feels nicer and tighter. Shift points are better without hanging in a gear too long. The car is a whole different animal now.

All in all, my worries were for nothing, just sketched out on the ghetto neighborhood I guess. He did a good job and knocked 50 bucks off for taking a little longer than he promised. $1295 out the door. LA Transmissions in San Pedro is the shop if you are close to LA and don't mind leaving you car in a shady area, lol. For a quick cheap rebuilt trans this guy is decent. Great for the price, but he did get the interior a little greasy.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Well that's a relief. I guess? :lawl: No, glad things worked out. Check the fluid level if you haven't already, make sure it's good. Hope it lasts you a long time.

Back