Engine starts, then dies, then will not start.

nexTOme

Reaction score
just get oem or oem replacement copper plug....that shuld be good enough...

pattywak

Reaction score
Okay, thanks.

What could be causing this though? I have absolutely no idea..

f23accord2000

Reaction score
well first thing check battery terminal,loose wire to distributor,not enough fuel reaching the injectors or vacuum leak or maybe vacuum leak at the throttle body,or starter motor faulty or ignition ot the FUEL PUMP RELAY these are some of the problem my friend had with there accords

d_accord

Reaction score
hey pattywak did you ever figure the problem with that cause my cars is doing that to me now especially during this hot weather here in vegas... thanks

rIceNOodles

Reaction score
Mine does this once in a blue moon. It would start then just cut out about 2 secs later. For some reason when i try to restart the engine it won't turn on unless i take my key out and then re-insert it.

Crono139

Reaction score
My car has been doing this on, and off for almost a year now. Still don't know the real problem, but I'm sticking to my theory of a bad fuel pump.

Listen for the fuel pump whine after you put in the key, and turn.

SeventhGear

Reaction score
all these probs are sounding like a bad main relay......

not going to say it is the relay but there are a lot of instances with the same dying then revving the motor, and it's like nothing happened stuff going on that the relay normally fixes the prob.

sometimes there are occurences of people driving down the interstate and it cutting off on them and it "being the main relay" as the culprit.
i hope u fixed the prob already but if not definately put a main relay on ur list to deduce the prob

Last edited:

pattywak

Reaction score
I haven't looked into it more because it hasn't done this any, but I will try to check the main relay out when I get a small tune up including valve timing and spark plugs before I'm off to college. Thanks guys!

res0xiz9

Reaction score
hi, i have the same problem w/ my accord.. i was told b4 that it was the fuel pump by a friend that used to be a mechanic, but that wasn't the case.. i installed a new one and it still didn't start up :( i was then told that it might be the ignitor (ignition coil) or main relay or both.. main relay switches the fuel pump on/off so sometimes it seems like bad fuel pump but it's the relay.. bad ignitor can fck up the main relay.. http://autorepair.about.com/cs/troubleshooting/l/aa010301a.htm check out this site, it's actually pretty interesting, talking about exactly what we are having problems with.. my guess, main relay or ignitor.. both somewhat pricey but not too bad.. main relay ~ $40, ignition coil ~ $75 (on www.hondaautomotiveparts.com) well, good luck w/ your car and i hope this info was useful!

SeventhGear

Reaction score
i have found that this website has the best deals around..... for parts i was comparing to the local dealerships i found that bill kay's prices beat them by at least $30 on some major parts..... check em out if u need to buy something

WWW.BKHONDAPARTS.COM

Back