Engine starts, then dies, then will not start.

olivesomra

Reaction score
Hey don't know if you guys know this or not but there is a recall that was released back in 2004 for the ignition switch. The problem was that high current was ruining the contacts on the switch causing some syptoms that sound like yours. I just got mine replaced the other day for free from Honda since it was a recall.

I have acess to alldata (to show you the customer letter) but I don't know how I can insert the the letter into a post. Any ideas? It's a gif file

our problem is separate from this...I just had my ignition switch replaced 2 weeks ago, due to different problems (engine shutting off while driving).

nomocars23

Reaction score

kenttt

Reaction score
Here is my current situation:

Every now and then, I won't have a problem starting up the car. Sometimes, I'll have to turn it over at least a couple times before I get it started. Then on rare occasions, it may take as long as 15-30 minutes before I can even get it to barely turn on! When I try turning it on, you can hear the click, but the motor doesn't start.

Does anyone have the solution to what the real problem might be? I've heard from my personal mechanic that it could be the ignition coil and/or distributor.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
Here is my current situation:

Every now and then, I won't have a problem starting up the car. Sometimes, I'll have to turn it over at least a couple times before I get it started. Then on rare occasions, it may take as long as 15-30 minutes before I can even get it to barely turn on! When I try turning it on, you can hear the click, but the motor doesn't start.

Does anyone have the solution to what the real problem might be? I've heard from my personal mechanic that it could be the ignition coil and/or distributor.

if your radio,ect comes on and you hear just one click when trying to turn the car on.Most likely the battery is bad.*my situation atleast* and yes it will turn on normally sometimes and sometimes it wouldnt.

pattywak

Reaction score
For my original problem that I started this thread for, it turned out I needed to replace my Ignition Switch Relay. Apparently it's somewhat of a common problem on our cars, and there is a DIY on this site for it.

1NonlyAccord

Reaction score
where is that relay located? under the hood fuse box? I had problems with my car starting when it wanted to when i had my battery in my trunk*new red top* then few days later wouldnt crank again.so i said screw it and put it back in OEM place..because my starter passed and alt was good. Hmmm maybe that can fix my problem if it happens again.

pattywak

Reaction score
where is that relay located? under the hood fuse box? I had problems with my car starting when it wanted to when i had my battery in my trunk*new red top* then few days later wouldnt crank again.so i said screw it and put it back in OEM place..because my starter passed and alt was good. Hmmm maybe that can fix my problem if it happens again.

There is a DIY on this site about it. It's located under your steering wheel. The DIY will give you better instructions for it.

StuCoupe

Reaction score
where did this end up leading you ... im having the same problems now and i need to fix it ... it becomes a pain when i have to rev my car up in parking lots like a ricer. verry embarassing :(

I have the same problem, when i start my car the revs will drop right back down, the odd time stalling right out. Always have to rev it in park. But once I do give the car some gas, the revs settle where they should be.

I had the ignition recall done on monday, didnt seem to change the situation at all.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
^^That is because the ignition recall is a separate issue (lets you pull they key out of the ignition when the car is in drive). Your problem is the main fuel relay.

Main fuel relay failure is not uncommon on these cars. It is a relay switch that engages the fuel pump when the key is turned to position III, right before you turn the engine over. However, over time the relay deteriorates and in intense heat will not function, thus not initializing the fuel pump.

The main relay is up under the dash above the pedals and to the left of the steering column, and is around $150-$180 (depending on labor rate) to replace at your Honda dealer. Or $50-$65 to do it yourself.

You can tell the main relay can be a cause when you turn your key to position III, and you can't hear the fuel pump engage (quiet whine/whistle sound). You should also be able to hear the Check Engine light click off after it blinks on when you turn the key to Position III. Not hearing either of these sounds can also mean a faulty pump or something else, but when the car starts in cool weather but not hot weather, you know it's the main relay. BUT, when the relay is nearing its end...it will begin to not start randomly.

Temporary fix is to leave your car windows/sunroof cracked, and when you go to start the car after it has set outside, listen for the fuel pump and if it doesn't engage, open your driver and passenger doors and let the car sit for 5-10 minutes. Then give it a try.

I have been in this situation for the past couple months, and I had my main fuel relay replaced yesterday and no more starting problems. I'll post pics of the old one when I can since this thing seems to elude a lot of folks.

Back