Engine starts, then dies, then will not start.

Hlover

Reaction score
bro its the main relay the use to happen to me all the time untill finnally i just whent and bought one. here is how you can tell next time it dies on you make sure that it is quiet and turn the key to the on position. if you dont hear the fuel pump turn on then that is your problem the relay. the pump will make a huming noice for about 3 sec or less.

mnorton

Reaction score
Thank you RedRyder for this post.

Three times now my 98 Accord (4 cyl) has almost stalled (tach drops to zero). It has happened in the heat of the summer and I believe every time (at least twice) it has occurred after the car was shut off for a short time and then started again (as if there was additional heat build up from sitting for a minute or two). Each time a quick shot to about 2000 RPM then a gradual release of the throttle solves the issue.

As well, many times (again in hotter weather) once I come home and park in the driveway, the fuel pump whines away for up to 12-15 seconds then stops, then cycles again. This may happen 5 times in a row and for up to 30 minutes after the car has been shut off.

When I tried the suggestions in your post, I consistently hear the "click off" after the Check Engine light goes off however I do not hear the fuel pump engage.

The car starts fine on a regular basis.

Are these symptoms of a future failure (relay or the pump)?

Thanks very much,
Matt
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Looks like I found a post that explains the "fuel pump like" sound after the car is shut off.
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showpost.php?p=328631&postcount=24

Last edited:

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Thank you RedRyder for this post.

Three times now my 98 Accord (4 cyl) has almost stalled (tach drops to zero). It has happened in the heat of the summer and I believe every time (at least twice) it has occurred after the car was shut off for a short time and then started again (as if there was additional heat build up from sitting for a minute or two). Each time a quick shot to about 2000 RPM then a gradual release of the throttle solves the issue.

As well, many times (again in hotter weather) once I come home and park in the driveway, the fuel pump whines away for up to 12-15 seconds then stops, then cycles again. This may happen 5 times in a row and for up to 30 minutes after the car has been shut off.

When I tried the suggestions in your post, I consistently hear the "click off" after the Check Engine light goes off however I do not hear the fuel pump engage.

The car starts fine on a regular basis.

Are these symptoms of a future failure (relay or the pump)?

Thanks very much,
Matt
_____________________________________________________________________________________________________________

Looks like I found a post that explains the "fuel pump like" sound after the car is shut off.
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showpost.php?p=328631&postcount=24

clean ur iacv sensor

lordofgroove

Reaction score
I'm having the same issue with my 00 Accord Coupe. It started a few months ago when it was really hot outside. Its the same routine every time. It will start then the RPM's fall and it dies, then it wont start. I'll leave it alone for about 5 minutes then it will start. I initial though it was just in need of a tune up so i replaced the plugs,wires, rotor button, and dist. cap. Thinking this fixed the issue since it was a month before it acted up again, but sure enough its done it about 3 times since the tune up. Based on what i'm seeing, the main relay is the next thing to replace, would you guys say that is correct? It happens very randomly but its very frustrating since i never know when it will happen. Thanks for any help you can provide.

StuCoupe

Reaction score
My car yesterday would not start again and Did not start. Spent $40 today to get it towed to my mechanic. So now it is "fixed" the problem being the engine was flooded. Obviously it was flooded. I tried to start it all day...
Hard to argue with him cuz the car starts now.

My advice would be drop the 70$ on the relay. I am now gonna play the waiting game again until the car wont start again. At that point I will replace the relay and go from there.

pattywak

Reaction score
So I too thought that the ignition wire switch fixed my starting problems, but that just fixed the problems of the car turning off while I was driving, like someone has said before in this thread. This week my car would start, run for a few seconds struggling, and then die again - and it's done it three times this week. The frequency of this problem and the fact that it is now affecting my daily life means I'm going to be shelling out for this main relay. To replace it, is it just a pull out plug in kind of deal? I was reading this site:
http://techauto.awardspace.com/mainrelay.html#Troubleshoot
And it seems to be something a little out of my ability, since it had to do with soldering and things of that nature. Could those who have replaced it chime in and let me know how hard it was to do? Are these steps the same ones to take for our Accords?

StuCoupe

Reaction score
All it is is a little grey box that is attatched to a bracket and has a plug going into it.

The hardest part is that it is in a hard to get at spot. (Under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.) At about arms length if you lay on your back on the drivers side floor.

This DIY shows how to get at the area you need:
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22452&highlight=ignition+recall

That guide I believe is if you want to take apart your relay and fix it.

Last edited:

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
Replacing the relay does not involve soldering, that guide is for repair as Stu said. Actually the reason the relay goes bad is because the solder points go bad after a while. It's not usually a problem with the circuit itself, which seems weird. Anyway replacing the relay is removing the current relay via a series of plugs/clips, and replacing it with a new one.

The hard part about doing it yourself is that there is an internal clip insde the relay that must be released in order to remove it. Hard because in order to release this internal clip, the relay casing must be broken where the clip is in order to release it. So if you don't know where the clip is it's impossible or you will break something. Other than that, it's a pain to contort your arm/hand to get to the relay which makes it difficult to see what you're doing.

On the bright side, I kept my old relay and can take a few photos of it and post here so people can see where the internal clip is that must be broken if anyone wants to see it.

lordofgroove

Reaction score
I'd love to see the broken one if its not too much trouble. I got under the steering wheel last night and was looking around , i think i've got it narrowed down to 1 of 2 small plastic boxes i saw, and i guess when i actually go buy the new relay i'll be able to tell by process of elimination. The one i'm thinking it is has a blue clip going to it, its on the left hand side under the steering wheel/dash area. Does that sound right?

pattywak

Reaction score
All it is is a little grey box that is attatched to a bracket and has a plug going into it.

The hardest part is that it is in a hard to get at spot. (Under the dash to the left of the steering wheel.) At about arms length if you lay on your back on the drivers side floor.

This DIY shows how to get at the area you need:
http://www.6thgenaccord.com/forums/showthread.php?t=22452&highlight=ignition+recall

That guide I believe is if you want to take apart your relay and fix it.

This is not the main relay, this is the ignition switch replacement. As far as I know the two are two different parts that cause two different problems.

Ignition Switch: Car turning off while driving.
Main Relay: Difficulty starting the car/car sputters and dies after starting.

I replace the Ignition Switch and that fixed the problem of my car turning off while driving, but I still have the second listed problem, which is why I'm going to try the Main Relay next.

Also RedRyder, I think that picture could help quite a few members who are in on this thread. Would you mind posting it up and how you got to it exactly?

Back