Car appears to want to shut off when I brake...

BatMan

Reaction score
Good afternoon,

Every once in a while when I'm driving and I step on the brake as I come to a complete stop my car seems to want to turn off, I can feel it, as soon as the RPM goes under 1000 it does it and goes straight down, I gently tap on the gas and it comes back.

What's going on?

Btw, I have a 2000 Accord, Coupe, LX.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
wat is ur rpm at idle?

does it only happen when u fill up the gas or when near empty?

BatMan

Reaction score
wat is ur rpm at idle?

does it only happen when u fill up the gas or when near empty?
At idle it is under 1000 but I'd say no lower than 900.

And to be honest I never noticed how my gas tank was...but I would say it happens when I'm either at half a tank or nearing empty...but I never let it get to 1/4 of a tank, I fill it up at least with $10 if it gets there.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
check the butterfly valve on the throttle body, because if its sticking open for a second, the motor is getting choked out with too much air. this was happening to me when i tightened up the throttle cable and had it just a little too tight. every time id let off the gas, push the clutch in, and start to slow down, the rpm's would do the same thing yours are doing and the car would just turn off.

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
mine was bad gas cap... the pressure was not maintained in the gas tank, esp after i fill up or when the tank was almost empty... replaced the cap and the problem went away.... sounds like a fuel delivery problems imo

SeanXtec

Reaction score
Could also be a result of bad vacuum. I experienced similar symptoms and it ended up that one of my vacuum hoses was being pinched.

drifthobo

Reaction score
This happened to me also, while braking to a complete stop it wanted to shut off and under idled. After I installed my SRI, that problem never occured again; so I don't know if that would help solve/figure things out.

BatMan

Reaction score
Thanks for all of your suggestions, I really appreciate it.

BUT I don't know why but I tried to see what exactly I do when this happens and this morning on my way to work I was on an empty street and gunned it to 50 then as I slammed the brakes and almost came to a stop it did it again, I noticed the road was bumpy, so maybe something is loose? A co-worker suggested that if the car had been broken into before something in the starter was not screwed / installed on tight enough so it could be loose and that could cause the problem...?

BPAccord

*DAIGAKUSOTSU*
Reaction score
check ur IACV while u check the other stuff mentioned as well.....my seal as dirty and needed to be replaced....car turned off on me twice while exitin the freeway...scary shiet.....got it done and shes been runnin good since

good luck man.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Starter has NOTHING to do with your car when it's running. Investigate around your throttle body and or your gas cap. Take it off and listen for the sound of negative pressure being relieved once you open your cap.

Back