Recommended Oil

Raymond

Reaction score
I get whatever's on sale at the Auto Parts store. Sometimes Mobil 1 synthetic, sometimes Castrol GTX high mileage, who gives a crap.

Drift

Reaction score
No no. I asked the service department and they told me Quaker State. Maybe other honda dealerships use Mobile 1 but mine doesnt.

The dealerships will use whomever gives them the best deal on the contract. The dealership I used to be a writer at used Quaker State too.

I used whatever synthetic is on sale. (except for royal purple, worst oil ever)

russiansohcf23

Reaction score
The dealerships will use whomever gives them the best deal on the contract. The dealership I used to be a writer at used Quaker State too.

I used whatever synthetic is on sale. (except for royal purple, worst oil ever)

Why is Royal Purple bad oil?

Drift

Reaction score
Why is Royal Purple bad oil?

Ive seen multiple things go wrong when using royal purple with cars here at the shop. And After a fresh oil change, the one and only time Ive used royal purple on my car, the head was starved of oil during a 2 hour drive. Once I got home I drained the garbage purple crap out of the motor, (which looked like mud) and put in some Mobil 1 instead. Never had a problem since. Ive also never used royal purple since either.

finch13

Reaction score
The dealership uses mobile one. You probably were looking at their oil drum that might have said Quaker state

The FACTORY fills with Mobil1, the dealerships use whatever they want. The Saturn dealer my buddy works at fills up with Quaker State and Amsoil (not even API certified, ugh).

Ive seen multiple things go wrong when using royal purple with cars here at the shop. And After a fresh oil change, the one and only time Ive used royal purple on my car, the head was starved of oil during a 2 hour drive. Once I got home I drained the garbage purple crap out of the motor, (which looked like mud) and put in some Mobil 1 instead. Never had a problem since. Ive also never used royal purple since either.

I've heard tons of horror stories with RP leaving graphite sludge and deposits all over the engine. Some people swear by the crap... maybe it only works good in a racing scenario when you're constantly revving high and building enough oil pressure to push that **** around.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Well I switched to mobile one oil and filters in all my cars recently. I believe mobile 1 is probably the most reliable and tested oil/filters on the market.

I stopped using anything from the dealer just because I found out honda had the same filters as fram. "Noobs look it up, dont ask".

My honda has 113k my Avalon has 141k, I have always changed my oil at exactly 3000 miles or pretty close. Im sure I will have to change my oil at 3k a few more times before I enjoy the benefits of mobile 1 5k oil changes.

dorkiedoode

Reaction score
Well I switched to mobile one oil and filters in all my cars recently. I believe mobile 1 is probably the most reliable and tested oil/filters on the market.

I stopped using anything from the dealer just because I found out honda had the same filters as fram. "Noobs look it up, dont ask".

My honda has 113k my Avalon has 141k, I have always changed my oil at exactly 3000 miles or pretty close. Im sure I will have to change my oil at 3k a few more times before I enjoy the benefits of mobile 1 5k oil changes.

my accord has 171k and my avalon has 110k, both with OCI of 5k with the cheapest dino oil at walmart :thumbsup:. I change my oil filter every 10k with napa gold.

finch13

Reaction score
^ :ugh2:

Filter every other oil change? Any good reason why? Don't say to save money... you're only investing like $12 an oil change every 4-5 months.

Dino oil cannot hold as much dissolved heavy metals or carbon and whatever other toxins the engine produces. Also, it doesn't resist thermal breakdown as well as a full synthetic. Once oil reaches its maximum capacity of toxins it starts to form sludge in the engine; it doesn't really lose it's lubrication properties as fast as it gets dirty. 3k changes for dino it normal, 5k for synthetic is normal. I wouldn't push the dino too far.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
my accord has 171k and my avalon has 110k, both with OCI of 5k with the cheapest dino oil at walmart :thumbsup:. I change my oil filter every 10k with napa gold.

Dude, avalons have a recall for sludge build up in their engine. The cylinder heads run hot, when the car is off, the oil is pooled under the rocker covers to lube the cam lobes upon cold start up. If your oil is old it will start sludging everywhere and get hard. It will eventually clog oil passages and ruin ur engine.

The remedy was to be very meticulous about oil changes and use a engine flush every 20,000 miles.

None the less, even the accord will build up sludge, if your only changing your filters every other oil change. I mean, napa gold are great filters. but are you that broke that you cannot afford the $6 for a new filter???? Maybe its time to sell one so you can properly maintain atleast one vehicle.

Last edited:
Back