Euro R CL-1 SWAP

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
Re: Euro R CL-1 ECU

ok so i tried it again and the motor cranks over but it does not start ... but the immobilizer key icon does not flash ... so it's safe to say that like glassjaw stated, euro r's do not have immobilizers

so then my theory is that if i were to use the euro r ecu, the euro r wiring harness, and of course the euro r motor ... it should start up without any issues ... or am i being overly optimistic lol

dreman

H22-5spd Swapped CG5
Reaction score
Last edited:

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
yea i might just have to do that if i cant run the euro r ... it's the only thing holding me back from the swap, that and the fact that this is my daily :eusa_wall:

GlassJAw

Reaction score
I would run the USDM ECU just for the simple fact that it wont have the stupid Hesitation / Surge problem that all Euro R / F20B's suffer from!!
Hope its moving forward for you??

lithiumus

Reaction score
The reason that your ECU is not firing up is because there is a pinout difference when you plug an immobilizer ECU vs. a non-immobilizer ECU. The pinout difference is the fuel Pump relay which is why your car is not firing up

I ran into this problem when I wast testing JDM ECUs.

USDM uses pin A15 to activate the fuel pump relay (immobilizer)
JDM users pin A16 to activate the fuel pump relay

If you have some experience with the OBD connectors, you can simply pull the pin out of the A15 connector and move it to A16. Of course when you do that, the USDM ECU won't work so you'll have to swap pins based on the ECU.

Make sure you have a good mini screw driver set to help you release the pin from the connector.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
The reason that your ECU is not firing up is because there is a pinout difference when you plug an immobilizer ECU vs. a non-immobilizer ECU. The pinout difference is the fuel Pump relay which is why your car is not firing up

I ran into this problem when I wast testing JDM ECUs.

USDM uses pin A15 to activate the fuel pump relay (immobilizer)
JDM users pin A16 to activate the fuel pump relay

If you have some experience with the OBD connectors, you can simply pull the pin out of the A15 connector and move it to A16. Of course when you do that, the USDM ECU won't work so you'll have to swap pins based on the ECU.

Make sure you have a good mini screw driver set to help you release the pin from the connector.

thank you lithiumus ... well i'll try it out as soon as i get started ... i'm still looking for another car to make my daily driver since this is my only car at the moment ... i've been looking for a 1991'ish 240sx but ever since drifting became popular here everyone wants too much for them :eusa_wall:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
daily beater = 90-93 accord...all the way. sooo many for sale for less than $2k.

GlassJAw

Reaction score
Sorry to thread jack a little here Victor, but after looking at the wiring diagrams I noticed that a JDM EK9 (Type R) ECU is also an OBD2B item. Would this work in my Euro R with the fuel maps tuned via say an Apexi VAFC or the likes??

I really want to rid myself of this dreaded Hesitation / Bogging problem
(which no doubt you will encounter soon enough when you install the Euro R!!)

lithiumus

Reaction score
Sorry to thread jack a little here Victor, but after looking at the wiring diagrams I noticed that a JDM EK9 (Type R) ECU is also an OBD2B item. Would this work in my Euro R with the fuel maps tuned via say an Apexi VAFC or the likes??

I really want to rid myself of this dreaded Hesitation / Bogging problem
(which no doubt you will encounter soon enough when you install the Euro R!!)

Well the connectors are similar OBD2B but the EK9 is a B series motor so I'm thinking that there will be a lot of adjustments and tuning to make it work right. Are you sure the hesitation that you are experiencing is a "known" and "common" issue and not something wrong with your O2 sensors or possibly pinout issues? It sounds serious enough to be not normal...

Back