so today my tranny crapped out

Werkmeister47

Reaction score
yeah as the title says, its driveable and shifts ok, but i know once i drive it until it gets hot the tranny stops shifting...soooo my tranny is done....

i have a couple options first i'm thinking about rebuilding it, its the cheapest of course but i also know that majority people that rebuild it end up crapping out on them again

my second option is go for the 6 speed swap, however money is tight and i'm gonna have to borrow either from my parents or get a loan, i'm in school right now and i have no money to buy a new car soooooo my question is this

i checked out the threads about tranny swap info and i saw the cost$$$ but i do want to know personally how much its it all together???

as far as labor me and my friend are gonna do it, he has good knowlege with cars and done tranny swaps before, just not on a 6th gen accord

so please anybody with any info it would be great for your input thanks guys

sorry for making an extra thread!

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Buy an external tranny cooler. Its cheap, easy to hook up and it would probably buy you some needed extra time.

jwong512

Reaction score
Do a drain and fill as well. It should maybe get you a couple thousand more miles. Sorry to hear about your tranny failing man :(. What mileage are you at? I heard if your under 109k you can get a free tranny replacement under the recall I believe.

Werkmeister47

Reaction score
i checked on tranny coolers and it doesn't make much difference from what i heard, soo i rather just spend all the money on a swap

@jwong really? where did you here this? my mileage is only 105 and if its true then i qualify but thanks guys

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Do a drain and fill as well. It should maybe get you a couple thousand more miles. Sorry to hear about your tranny failing man :(. What mileage are you at? I heard if your under 109k you can get a free tranny replacement under the recall I believe.

No, dont do a drain and fill. Chances are, the dirt collected on the clutch bands are helping the transmission shift. Replacing the fluid most likely will cause it to slip more.

Werkmeister47

Reaction score
quick update

i made a call to a honda dealership i always go to and what they said is that my car is not under the extended warranty and they said it costs about 3500 to rebuild the tranny.......

my in head i'm like you can go fk urself its cheaper to just swap in a 6spd if not the same price

jwong512

Reaction score
quick update

i made a call to a honda dealership i always go to and what they said is that my car is not under the extended warranty and they said it costs about 3500 to rebuild the tranny.......

my in head i'm like you can go fk urself its cheaper to just swap in a 6spd if not the same price

Dam, that sucks. Most of the 6GA's were covered under the extended warranty. I guess you just got unlucky :(. Well, I believe Davis got a new transmission for a pretty decent price. I forgot how much. You should ask him.

sodaks2k

Reaction score
i checked on tranny coolers and it doesn't make much difference from what i heard

I think you heard wrong. Tranny coolers make a big difference when paired with religous drain and fills. Even though most of you hate DA, there is good info here.

Last edited:

cajun

Reaction score

Sorry to hear about your trans. Dealers generally don't rebuild - they just swap in a factory reman trans. $3500 sounds about right. A local shop can probably rebuild yours for a lot less.

Back