Still low idle! Really?! Wow...

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Story of my life...

I just replaced my engine with a JDM engine because I got very low compression readings. Long story short, all the belts, seals and gaskets were replaced. I have searched and searched and searched until my eyes cried blood and could not find a solution to my problem!!!

When I put my car in gear (Reverse or D1,2,3 or D4) the idle drops super low where it almost stalls but then the idle catches up a little. Car vibrates violently in gear, and the steering wheel vibrates so rough that its loud itself. But same ol s**t in Park or Neutral. Idles fine with almost no vibrations. Idle is fine where a 4cyl should be in P or N but not in gear. Idol was the same before for all gears whether it was in D4 or P.

All the motor mounts are a year old, new plugs, 1 year dizzy and wires. I'm starting to think maybe its the torque converter? TPS? I don't know where to go from here. I have had it with this car, I should have gotten the TL when I had the chance. I start a new job this week so I need some ideas quick guys. I just replaced a motor that I probably didn't need. Thanks...

EDIT* I did clean the IACV, replaced the gasket, and also replaced the gasket for the existing IM I had on the old engine for the new engine. I'm pretty sure my TPS is working correctly also because I did the voltage test and I have NO CEL codes. WTF?

Last edited:

bovodo

Reaction score
i have the same problem. its not an engine problem, its your transmission. my clutch packs went out on my 4 cylinder. it had that same symptoms right before it took a sh!t. the idle drops almost to zero and climbs violently back up, but only when going into gear and out of gear right? transmission buddy, start saving for another one. i got my transmission for 350 at a local junk yard,

redlinevtec

Reaction score
i have the same problem. its not an engine problem, its your transmission. my clutch packs went out on my 4 cylinder. it had that same symptoms right before it took a sh!t. the idle drops almost to zero and climbs violently back up, but only when going into gear and out of gear right? transmission buddy, start saving for another one. i got my transmission for 350 at a local junk yard,

Maybe...it shifts fine to me. It doesn't hang or anything at a stop. It doesn't clunk either. just the whole engine shutters. I had an H22 with the manual and that was stolen. :/ go figure. I will never rebuild this tranny, that's for sure. it doesn't make any sense though, my transmission doesn't shift hard or clunk. It might be the torque converter not disengaging or my throttle body tps? ughhh... any other ideas. i really miss my GSR. that was solid and the best. :(

Last edited:

Erik123456789

Reaction score
If your car vibrates only when your in Drive or Reverse (or any gear) and it doesn't when your in P or N then you should take a look at your motor mounts.. bad mounts tend to do that.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
If your car vibrates only when your in Drive or Reverse (or any gear) and it doesn't when your in P or N then you should take a look at your motor mounts.. bad mounts tend to do that.

They all looked good except maybe the front. Small tiny crack. But would that cause my idle to drop 200 rpms in D or R?

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
Maybe your alternator isnt producing enough voltage, look at what your battery is charging at. Make sure your ground are sanded off and clean.

You got a PM btw..

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
yep.

i can sit there and change from drive to neutral...idle drops to 4-500rpm then goes back to 7-800. slow down for a stop sign...come to a complete stop and the car feels like its going to stall.

mine doesn't shake or anything, just feels like its going to die. it only does it when warm and the only gear that acts up is 1st...shifts fine otherwise.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
yep.

i can sit there and change from drive to neutral...idle drops to 4-500rpm then goes back to 7-800. slow down for a stop sign...come to a complete stop and the car feels like its going to stall.

mine doesn't shake or anything, just feels like its going to die. it only does it when warm and the only gear that acts up is 1st...shifts fine otherwise.

but I have no problems going from first or downshifting into first or second at all. :/ and I have read online numerous people have had this problem in other vehicles but no one ever does a follow up. the only thing I can think of is maybe a bad torque converter, or a bad exhaust system? like a clogged cat where the system can't build enough pressure?

goes back to 7-800 when in Park or Nuetral? See it does this warm or cold. Idles high when cold like normal but drops low when cold as well as being warm.

Last edited:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
its weird, but my car only drops the revs once the idle is stabilized to 7-800rpm. I can't replicated it after starting the car and having it idle at 1500rpm.

a clogged cat is easy to diagnose...have the car running and someone else in the drivers seat. go to the back of the car and have them rev it...if there's not much air (or none...i've seen it) coming from the pipe, the cat is done. from my experience, if its clogged, it causes more drivability issues than just dropping revs at idle.

from what i've gathered online, its a sticky valve inside the transmission. i'm not a trans expert, so i dont know what that all entails. the torque converter would be bad if the shifts were hard, at wrong times, or randomly changing gears. i'm planning on it requiring a new/rebuilt/junkyard trans unless i can figure out or hear otherwise...

Back