Still low idle! Really?! Wow...

redlinevtec

Reaction score
its weird, but my car only drops the revs once the idle is stabilized to 7-800rpm. I can't replicated it after starting the car and having it idle at 1500rpm.

a clogged cat is easy to diagnose...have the car running and someone else in the drivers seat. go to the back of the car and have them rev it...if there's not much air (or none...i've seen it) coming from the pipe, the cat is done. from my experience, if its clogged, it causes more drivability issues than just dropping revs at idle.

from what i've gathered online, its a sticky valve inside the transmission. i'm not a trans expert, so i dont know what that all entails. the torque converter would be bad if the shifts were hard, at wrong times, or randomly changing gears. i'm planning on it requiring a new/rebuilt/junkyard trans unless i can figure out or hear otherwise...

sticky valve? I don't know. Like I said I up shift and downshift smooth like butter. The idle just drops to 400-500 rpms in gear. :/ Maybe the TPS sensor? Hondaluver said I should clean the throttle body. That may help.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
redlinevtec said:
sticky valve? I don't know. Like I said I up shift and downshift smooth like butter. The idle just drops to 400-500 rpms in gear. :/ Maybe the TPS sensor? Hondaluver said I should clean the throttle body. That may help.
A sticky valve will cause way more problems than a low idle. Think about it, if one of ur vavles does not fully seat it will lose compression in that cylinder and you would lose power.

HondaLuver83

Reaction score
a clogged cat with glow red because of the insufficient flow, u would definitly get a DTC for that. A sticky valve in your valve body can cause delayed shifts, harsh shifts.

Like I said before, I had the same exact problem. After I thoroughly took apart the throttle body and cleaned it very well...and the intake plenum. The problems went away.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
a clogged cat with glow red because of the insufficient flow, u would definitly get a DTC for that. A sticky valve in your valve body can cause delayed shifts, harsh shifts.

Like I said before, I had the same exact problem. After I thoroughly took apart the throttle body and cleaned it very well...and the intake plenum. The problems went away.

Alright, quick little update. I haven't had a chance to clean my throttle body & intake manifold because I have been pretty busy. Today on my way home from work my car stalled on me 3-4 times! This is new! Which I'm very happy! It means that it is not the transmission! Why would the transmission make me stall? When I'm at a stop light I have to put my car in Neutral so it wont idle rough and shake the whole car. But once I engage into Drive, the car sputters & shakes like it want's to die and the RPM'S drop like it's gasping for air and that's when I stall. Same thing in the morning. The starts are a little rough trying to get the right air/fuel ratio even in Park or Neutral. 2 year old starter and brand new battery. It has to be the intake system. What else????

So today I'm going to try and tackle cleaning out the intake system. If that doesn't work then it's got to be the exhaust system or fuel injectors. It's weird because whenever I'm engaged in gear I hear a hissing noise. Put the car back in Neutral or Park and the hissing noise goes away. We'll see today If I'm able to finish in time. I never cleaned out the intake on this car so it might not finish today. I'll let you guys know how I goes.

Last edited:

redlinevtec

Reaction score
Re: Still low idle! Really?! Wow...*UPDATE*

*UPDATE* I couldn't finish today because I couldn't get one of the nuts off. It looks like whoever owned the car before me tried to take it off, rounded the nut and gave up. So now I have one nut I have to figure out how to take off. I'll probably finish this weekend. So far I think this is the problem. Here are some pictures. Sorry if the text becomes sideways on the photo. I keep trying to rotate the image but it does that by default.
IMG_1020.jpg

IMG_1022.jpg

IMG_1023.jpg

IMG_1024.jpg

Anyone know where that vacuum hose from the transmission goes?! I think this may have been the problem all along? My throttle body and intake is filthy so maybe not, but that sure is a vacuum hose...Input would be appreciated.

*EDIT* I think I know where that vacuum hose goes.
*EDIT* I DON'T KNOW WHERE IT GOES LOL...

Last edited:

x5carl3tMurd3rx

Reaction score
if thats what I think it is then its the breather for the tranny. I could be wrong though I'd have to go look under the hood of my car and find out. I can take a look at it in like 15 20 minutes when I finish my lunch and get back to work on the car.

redlinevtec

Reaction score
if thats what I think it is then its the breather for the tranny. I could be wrong though I'd have to go look under the hood of my car and find out. I can take a look at it in like 15 20 minutes when I finish my lunch and get back to work on the car.

COULD YOU DO THAT FOR ME PLEASE? I'M LOOKING AND LOOKING AND TRYING TO COMPARE DIAGRAMS AND I DON'T SEE WHERE IT GOES. THIS MAY HAVE BEEN THE PROBLEM...

I'm looking at part 9 where there is a clip but don't see one on my car. But I have part 7 in my hand. I think the diagram is backwards for illustration purposes. It's coming from the left hand side facing the car next to the tranny mount. but I don't know where it breathes into. Let me know and upload a picture if you could. I don't wanna call and bug jwong512 to compare to his car lol. I bug the guy enough as it is. :rock:

Back