Very strange fuel related problem.

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Ok so I have a very strange problem with my car that has some symptoms that I have never seen on any other car ever. I would like to get it fixed, but I have no idea what it could be. All I know is that it is running rich. Throws a code for bank 1 richness once every blue moon, but always goes away after turning the car off. So far I've checked the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, and intake stuff on the off chance that there was a block restricting air flow. Pump is good, fuel filter was replaced, all lines look just fine, and all intake stuff is fine (even cleaned the IACV for good measure. Aside from maybe injectors, or something fuel rail related I don't even know where to look to next. Any help would be appreciated, would rather sort out all the simple stuff myself rather then let the shops rob me.

Symptoms:
-Rough idle when warm. Only happens when warm and doesn't always happen. I'd say its about 50-50 shot when I come to a stop my idle will drop. Drops down to about 350-450rpm when this happens, and makes the car shake so much that I can feel it in my seat.

-Sometimes when this happens it will cause the engine to start knocking. I'm going to be an optimist and say that its just the motor mounts making noise due to more engine movement at such low rpms, but I've also heard that over time letting the car run rich can make you develop a knock.

-Car will die randomly sometimes. I don't mean sputter, I don't mean lose power, I mean die instantaneously... No matter what RPM or speed I'm going. It is an instant engine cut causing me to lose brakes and power steering (as if the key was not even turned) After this happening usually I can put it in park and just start the car and continue on as if nothing happened, however sometimes it takes a while for the car to feel like starting again.

Again, my car does not have a check engine light. It only comes on with the code for bank one running too rich every once in a while. Maybe 3 times since I've gotten it rebuilt last spring, and it never stays on. Always goes away after a couple days, or after turning the car off.

Darianjr1

Reaction score
Man that sucks wish I could help out. But if its been happening since you got it rebuilt. Im betting something got messed with during that time.

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Sounds similar to some of the other posts where people have suggested the main relay (not sure where that is) or the ignition switch.
Sounds like the code is random and the problem lies elsewhere

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Man that sucks wish I could help out. But if its been happening since you got it rebuilt. Im betting something got messed with during that time.

I'm positive it was. Ever since I got it back it has been one little thing after another after another. First they reused the spark plug gaskets which were bad and caused oil to leak in my plug chambers, had to get new plugs, wires, and O2 sensors. Then it turns out they snapped one of my valve cover bolts and I had to get that **** heli coiled into the head. Its been a mess man. I'm tryin really hard to save up enough for an H22 swap, but when I have to repair this engine once every month its hard to save.

Sounds similar to some of the other posts where people have suggested the main relay (not sure where that is) or the ignition switch.
Sounds like the code is random and the problem lies elsewhere

You think so? Gonna have to do some research. I wouldn't know how to tell if either the main relay or ignition switch is bad. I appreciate the input.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Im gonna throw out some stuff. Do you smell gas, exhaust or oil? Hows your alternator?

It sounds to me that your oil level might be too high if your throwing that code but that shouldnt be the cause of whats happening.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Ok so I have a very strange problem with my car that has some symptoms that I have never seen on any other car ever. I would like to get it fixed, but I have no idea what it could be. All I know is that it is running rich. Throws a code for bank 1 richness once every blue moon, but always goes away after turning the car off. So far I've checked the fuel pump, fuel filter, fuel lines, and intake stuff on the off chance that there was a block restricting air flow. Pump is good, fuel filter was replaced, all lines look just fine, and all intake stuff is fine (even cleaned the IACV for good measure. Aside from maybe injectors, or something fuel rail related I don't even know where to look to next. Any help would be appreciated, would rather sort out all the simple stuff myself rather then let the shops rob me.

Symptoms:
-Rough idle when warm. Only happens when warm and doesn't always happen. I'd say its about 50-50 shot when I come to a stop my idle will drop. Drops down to about 350-450rpm when this happens, and makes the car shake so much that I can feel it in my seat.

-Sometimes when this happens it will cause the engine to start knocking. I'm going to be an optimist and say that its just the motor mounts making noise due to more engine movement at such low rpms, but I've also heard that over time letting the car run rich can make you develop a knock.

-Car will die randomly sometimes. I don't mean sputter, I don't mean lose power, I mean die instantaneously... No matter what RPM or speed I'm going. It is an instant engine cut causing me to lose brakes and power steering (as if the key was not even turned) After this happening usually I can put it in park and just start the car and continue on as if nothing happened, however sometimes it takes a while for the car to feel like starting again.

Again, my car does not have a check engine light. It only comes on with the code for bank one running too rich every once in a while. Maybe 3 times since I've gotten it rebuilt last spring, and it never stays on. Always goes away after a couple days, or after turning the car off.

Well to your symptom number 1 - I had a similar thing and found a shop that had the Honda PGMFI tool(now called prehistoric as they've got new wifi tools). He reset the idle using it and been fine ever since. That being said my idle before going in was at 700rpm when warm anyways but i'd have the weird issue of idle dropping low when stopping for a red light or etc randomly as if the valve couldnt catch it in time and it'd fully close.

To your symptom number 2 - it sounds a lot like the ignition switch as I had the same thing happening to me 2 months ago.

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Im gonna throw out some stuff. Do you smell gas, exhaust or oil? Hows your alternator?

It sounds to me that your oil level might be too high if your throwing that code but that shouldnt be the cause of whats happening.

I don't smell anything while in the cabin. When I start it in the garage it smells of gas a little bit, but I think that its because my garage space is small cuz I don't ever smell it when the car runs out in the open. Idk if the alternator is bad. I'll check though.

Well to your symptom number 1 - I had a similar thing and found a shop that had the Honda PGMFI tool(now called prehistoric as they've got new wifi tools). He reset the idle using it and been fine ever since. That being said my idle before going in was at 700rpm when warm anyways but i'd have the weird issue of idle dropping low when stopping for a red light or etc randomly as if the valve couldnt catch it in time and it'd fully close.

To your symptom number 2 - it sounds a lot like the ignition switch as I had the same thing happening to me 2 months ago.

Also good info. Good to hear that you also think the ignition switch could be the culprit. This is progress, I'll get to checking things soon. Thanks for the input guys.

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
New developments today. After a few days of nice weather and driving my CB7 around, I finally decided to pull the CG out of the garage to go to class. And of course the day I try to be nice and bring it outside it gives me a CEL (haven't gotten it checked yet, but I'm almost positive its the one I always get) Also has a slight smell of exhaust when I drive now, not in the car, but I smell it with the windows down.

Also made a video trying to recreate the low idle and knocking issue. Of course it wouldn't do it when I'm trying to show you guys, but I do have a video in my dash cam footage that catches the sound.

Here is the video explaining the problem:

Here is the DashCam recording that captures the sound at 0:22. Also dat NSX at 0:27.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Look on you vin plate at the windshield, if there is a notch/noticeable dent in there the odds of the switch being replaced are good. Since there is a recal for it, id start woth getting that done from honda for free. Since theres not fuel smell, barely an exhaust smell and little else pointing to the fuel system, best bet is either dizzy or ignition switch.

Back