Very strange fuel related problem.

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
I was just re-reading your symptoms again and have one more thing to offer as a possible cause, although this should have thrown an appropriate code, and that is the ignition sensor. It could be partially failing and give you that "engine switching off like a light switch" condition and then starting again later like nothing was wrong thing.

I see for the I4, it's in the distributor and is not cheap!!!. for the V6 without a distributor, it's a bit cheaper, not sure where it is hidden. Don't know how this applies to your engine, but if after all you have done the problem persists, it may be worth a try.

Had this random dying on a '91 plymouth acclaim, turned out to be the hall effect switch in the ditributor (ignition sensor) and it would just die from time to time, but it did store the code properly and replayed it via flashing lights thru the dashboard. Last time it did that I was on the freeway and it only gave me one shot at the brakes before losing vaccuum boost - it did not want to stop after that!!!

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Been driving around a bit more today, and the idling problem seems to persist. Have yet to have the car stall on me, but it has only been couple days so still can't be sure. When my next oil change time comes around (soon) I'm gonna go ahead and do the spark plugs, belts, and possibly plug wires as well. See if anything helps. Doubt it, but it would be awesome if the problem stopped after just a tune-up.

EDIT: Also realized something the other day while I was getting gas. Shouldn't there be a little protective flap that the gas nozzle has to push to pump gas? I know my CB7 has it, my dads tundra has it, and like every other car I have ever had to put gas in has had it. Can't recall if my CG has always not had it. Question is, do our cars have it, and if so then where did mine go?

Should be like a little metal plate inside of where I painted red.
IMG_0745-1.jpg

Last edited:

RichBinAZ

Reaction score
Yes, that's the roll over valve, for when you are flying inverted. Lost ours many years ago - must be in the bottom of the tank somewhere.

I was filling up our '09 XB at Fry's and noticed that one has fallen into the tank also.

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Little update I guess. Sea-foamed the car, did virtually nothing. Probably could've gotten more smoke to come out the muffler on a cold day with the heater on. Beginning to wonder if there is something redistricting air flow.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Little update I guess. Sea-foamed the car, did virtually nothing. Probably could've gotten more smoke to come out the muffler on a cold day with the heater on. Beginning to wonder if there is something redistricting air flow.

Are you able to shoot a video of it happening?
Does the idle drop and catch itself again? or do you have to step on the gas a bit?

Frisky Arab

Reaction score
Are you able to shoot a video of it happening?
Does the idle drop and catch itself again? or do you have to step on the gas a bit?

No didn't make a video, and yeah it always catches itself just as before. Just that d**m knocking sound scares me every time. Is it possible to tune our stock ECUs? If so maybe my car just needs a re-tune to allow a tad bit more air flow in. Not too much though, I know that blows up engines.

001Stunna

Reaction score
No didn't make a video, and yeah it always catches itself just as before. Just that d**m knocking sound scares me every time. Is it possible to tune our stock ECUs? If so maybe my car just needs a re-tune to allow a tad bit more air flow in. Not too much though, I know that blows up engines.

Is it possible? Yes, but i do not see the need for you to have to do that.

Personally when I had a similar issue to you what fixed my problem was a technician who had the old Honda PGMFI tool. What he did was pretty much reset the idle parameter using it. You've already cleaned the IACV, TB, TP, MAP right?

Halabeaster54

Reaction score
im willing to bet its the map. check your vacuums lines and double check all of the connections you were near when u changed your ignition.

Back