Please help. Oil leak

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
So otw home from work I stopped to get gas and realized wtf is this crap on my back tire. Smells funky. I look under my car and the whole bottoms driver side is covered in oil. Oil all over the driver side LCA.

My oil filter is still on. It didn't spin off. I can't seem to locate where it is leaking. It's sitting at the gas station right now. I plan on coming back tonight to see wtf is up and get it back home.

Connie

Reaction score
Since you're saying driver's side, I am assuming you are 4-cyl. Is it definitely oil? I know on V6s many people have been fooled into doing cam seals by leaky power steering pumps.

By your last post, though, I'm guessing you are pretty sure it's oil, and pretty confident of your diagnosis.

Any pics of the awesome mess it made?

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Its definitely oil. I'm replacing the oil pump seal and front main seal tomorrow.

I left work with a full pan of oil and when I filled it up to drive it home the pan was 2 quarts low.

I left a drip line down the road over a 1 mile to my house. I'll take pictures of the oil tomorrow. Its a freaking mess. I'm gonna have to wipe it all down before I even get started.

I am positive it is not the power steering. I'm betting it is the oil pump gasket but I'm buying a front main seal anyways to be sure. I can always return the unused part or just replace it anyways. Might as well do the oil pan gasket while I'm down there.

The longest step in the timing belt change was the 2-3 hours it took me to break the crank bolt. But having a 1/2" impact now makes that easy. I'll just wail on it. Having 1100ft/lbs of breaking torque is nice.

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Its definitely oil. I'm replacing the oil pump seal and front main seal tomorrow.

I left work with a full pan of oil and when I filled it up to drive it home the pan was 2 quarts low.

I left a drip line down the road over a 1 mile to my house. I'll take pictures of the oil tomorrow. Its a freaking mess. I'm gonna have to wipe it all down before I even get started.

I am positive it is not the power steering. I'm betting it is the oil pump gasket but I'm buying a front main seal anyways to be sure. I can always return the unused part or just replace it anyways. Might as well do the oil pan gasket while I'm down there.

The longest step in the timing belt change was the 2-3 hours it took me to break the crank bolt. But having a 1/2" impact now makes that easy. I'll just wail on it. Having 1100ft/lbs of breaking torque is nice.

Check the balance shaft seal. If you're lucky, it might be just starting to walk out. Normally when it comes out, it'll dump 2 quarts of oil in seconds.
Dorman sells a retainer clip for just that problem, and every Honda I have here has one. My wife's car got it first (right after the seal came out), but the other 2 got 1 when they got their timing belts replaced. Rock Auto sells it for 4.99, but places like Advanced can get it the next day (if they don't have it in stock) for 10.99 (what I paid for the 1 in my wife's car). It also comes with a new Balance shaft seal. Just a heads up.

Note; This only applies if you still have an F series engine (F22, F23), or and engine with a balance shaft.

Last edited:

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I replaced the oil pump seal and auxiliary shaft seal today. Got it all back together and FML I seams to be the crank seal.

The million dollar question is HOW THE HELL DO I GET THE CRANK SPROCKET OFF?

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I replaced the oil pump seal and auxiliary shaft seal today. Got it all back together and FML I seams to be the crank seal.

The million dollar question is HOW THE HELL DO I GET THE CRANK SPROCKET OFF?
Which oil pump seal did you change? The only 1 I can think of is the one behind the crank sprocket.
To get that off, you have to remove the harmonic dampener (lower pulley).

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
I took the oil pump off and replace the old brittle seal. It's like an oval with a little ring on it
According to the FSM (pages 8-7 thru 8-11), there are 2 oil seals and an "O"ring (rounded corner rectangle shape), and that's it. One of the oil seals is right behind the crank pulley (front main seal), while the other actually is for the "front" balance shaft. The rear balance shaft gets a gear drive and gets a larger more oval shaped "O" ring.
The oil seals are like this on the front of the engine (behind the timing belt).
O C)
_O_
With the left upper being the front balance shaft, the C) being the rear balance shaft, and the lower O being the crank seal.
This assumes you still have an F23 in it.

Sorry about the lower lines, but the software of my computer isn't playing nice today.:computer: (and yes I'm ready to do that)

Back