need help with misfires

ghost rider

Reaction score
Hi,
The car is a 2000 Accord EX V6

Has about 146,000 miles

timing belt and water pump done a year ago, plugs done about 6 months ago.

Situation: Car has never had problems before. I drove to work and it ran fine. when I left work and got in the car I noticed it was on E for gas. It was really cold that day (approx. 5 degrees f). I started it up and drove to the gas station down the road, again with no problems. I filled the tank and started the car up and it ran like poop, bucking, and surging. I figured crap, water or crap in the tank. I put fuel injector cleaner in and no luck. Have a CEL. My next guess was fuel filter. Replaced it and reset the ecm. Problem still existed. Brought it to autozone and got P1399. Read online and found EGR might be culprit

Took of the mani and cleaned the ports. same problem. put new plugs in, same problem, replaced egr valve, same problem. I have to get the CEL code checked again but was wondering about some other ideas. Could it be the fuel pump? how do I check my coil packs? My wife thinks we should just get rid of the car and I go out and buy an STi that I want but I would rather keep this running longer and get a house. Need help

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
yes to the house. if it were me i'd choose a house over my wrx.

i would say to check your plugs and wires again.

also we have no coil packs..we have a distributor.

maybe a new egr.

Last edited:

ghost rider

Reaction score
yes to the house. if it were me i'd choose a house over my wrx.

i would say to check your plugs and wires again.

also we have no coil packs..we have a distributor.

maybe a new egr.

The hard part was I traded in my Mazdaspeed3 for a toyota highlander for her (we just had our first child) and took her accord.

Car def has coil packs, I have done most of the work on this car.

ghost rider

Reaction score
:bs2:

take a pic of the coil pack...i would like to see it.

you're kidding, right? Look, I have done the plugs on my old WRX (which had coil packs), I have done the plugs on my Mazdaspeed3 (which had coil packs) I know what a coil pack is.

anyway, I did the test mentioned on this site of unplugging the harness to each coil pack to see if it changed the idle, all but 1 did. This should indicate a bad pack. so I switched the pack with one that changed the idle and sure enough the problem moved to where i moved the bad pack

knighthawk1104

Reaction score
:ohsnap:

thought you had an older one for some reason. my bad lol.

so, that was an easy fix. too bad you spent money on other things before this.

ghost rider

Reaction score
no problem.

got a new coil pack and the car runs like a champ now. woot!

now I can wait till the summer to get my STi :D

Back