F23A1 Build.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
So basically I'll just start with a little information. I'm 17 and I bought a 02' coupe with the F23A1, and automatic. I cannot drive a manual due to an ankle injury in my left, airgo, no using a clutch.

Now, what I ultimately want to do is build it by myself and partly with my dad. My dad knows alot, but specializes with Toyota/Lexus but wants me to have the detailed plans on exactly what to do and he would somewhat help. I'm pretty savy when it comes to general ways cars work as a whole, or as much as someone my age could know.

I'm looking to turbo my car and try to reach around 300-350whp on a high boost setting. Now I'm not looking for this to even be completed in a year. I'm just looking for wisdom from those who have taken on this task, I need somewhere to start. I for the most part could care less about what the car looks like, I will always do function first.

But I'm not looking for criticism. I just need somewhere to start and prepare. Any advice will be much appreciated :D

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
My straight advice for you is to read as much as you can about the project you are planning to do, and post your plans and progress here. Also, PM me anytime you need help, as well as some of the other boosted members on this site. I'm sure that everyone will be able to help you out as much as possible, but make sure you do the proper research yourself, because it won't make sense to ask stuff if it's already been discussed and covered.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
So I may be jumping the gun on choosing a turbo. But I think I'm going to get a Garrett GTX3071R. Its a 58 trim compressor and a 84 trim turbine. Its a t3 intake, so how would be best to go about the manifold?

Edit: changed my mind. Decided on Garrett t3/t04e.

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
Get the one that fits the T3, either cast iron log-style, welded steel log-style, or a welded steel ramhorn/tubular manifold. Do some research on companies which manufacture those. The cast-iron one isn't hard to come by, the others are a little bit tougher. Try spoolin-performance for a few options.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Along with the purchase of the manifold, is there any little things that should be also purchased at the same time? (Gaskets, etc..)

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Probably a stupid question but when buying piping, are the turbo inlets measured as outer diameter or inner diameter?

Russianred

Snail Spools You!
Reaction score
It doesn't need to be that accurate, you will be using couplers. As long as they are the same inch to the half or quarter - it will be fine. Doesn't have to be microscopic perfect at these junctions. There's really no way to get it perfect unless you weld all the connections.

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Yeah I've read that but I was just wondering haha. By the way, learned alot from that integra article you showed me, thanks for that!

Back