Unknown leak, need fixed by Monday!

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
So when I got off work tonight I noticed a spot on my driveway so I parked a little away from it.
I went for a bike ride and when I got back there was a big spot under my car. It's right under the engine block, not under the oil pan.

It was a lightish brown and didn't smell like oil, kinda funny smelling though, hard to describe. It felt really slippery and oily between my fingers but more like cooking oil rather than engine oil.

I checked the oil and power steering and they were fine but the reservoir in the front right, behind the driver headlight was really low, it wasn't labeled and I don't know what it is.

I drove my car all day without a problem and I when I moved it into the street I took it around the block and it drive fine. I think it might be brake fluid, it kinda feels and smells like it. I couldn't pin point a leak but it was building up and dripping on the bottom of the block.

If anybody can help that would be great, I need to have this fixed by Monday afternoon.

The car is an 02 v6

001Stunna

Reaction score
It was a lightish brown and didn't smell like oil, kinda funny smelling though, hard to describe. It felt really slippery and oily between my fingers but more like cooking oil rather than engine oil.

I checked the oil and power steering and they were fine but the reservoir in the front right, behind the driver headlight was really low, it wasn't labeled and I don't know what it is.

On the v6 behind the driver headlight is the power steering reservoir i believe. Circleish reservoir with black-ish fluid inside? Fill it up to the top mark on the reservoir with honda power steering fluid and recheck it constantly.

In addition you can get under the car and inspect the hoses/lines for leaks.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
There was another reservoir behind the passenger light that said power steering fluid.
Another thing, a couple weeks ago I noticed four spots im the driveway about where my wheels would be so it could also be leaking from the calipers.

FunnyVictor86

Reaction score
Wipe it up with a paper towel, see if it has a slight red/pink tint to it. Check your transmission fluid level and wipe it on another paper towel to compare the two for color and smell.

LeBirdNest

Titleist
Reaction score
Ruh roh, Achilles. It might be your power steering fluid. That's The resavoir behind that light that's low. Follow the hose down and check for leaks.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
Last night I did wipe it and it was more brownish, not really red at all like my trans fluid. The power steering fluid is right behind the passenger light and that is fine, could be topped off a little. Oil and trans dipsticks were showing fine. Last night I couldn't really see but today I checked again and the Bradley fluid is almost to the firewall.
The reservoir that was really low was the squareish whitish clear oneright behind the driver head light. The fluid inside matched the fluid on the ground which is still dripping off the bottom of the engine. It has a hose coming out of the cap and goes to the radiator.

What kind of fluid can I put in there and does it have to be Honda fluid or can I use any brand? I'm gonna ride my bike to get some fluid, fill it, and drive it a couple blocks to a friends house where I can Jack it up and look for the leak.

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
I found some Honda coolant in mu dads garage (he drives a 5th gen accord lol) and filled the reservoir about half way between the min and max lines. It's still dripping but it's not that bright green color. Gonna Jack it up tomorrow, might even be able to get it on a lift.

cl206

Reaction score
Earlier honda coolant is a kinda green but the type 2 coolant is blue. if your coolant is light brown, it is possible it hasnt been changed in a long time and is quite frankly contaminated and thus causing a leak from the corrosion.

BTW does the fluid taste a little sweet? JUST KIDDING don't taste it haha b/c coolant is poisonous...

uhhkilleez

Reaction score
My dad said the same thing about it not being green. Lol nice try although I do enjoy the taste. I'll try to pinpoint the leak tomorrow.

Back