F23 manual 5 speed swap questions

komodomoe

Reaction score
Hi, I'm a new member here, but I've been trolling forums all over to try and get an idea of what I can do to swap in a manual. I'd like to start getting some real power out of the car and that has to start with a nice manual tranny :)

I'll be getting a manual tranny off another F23a 6th gen Accord as well as all the other necessary parts from a junkyard so I compiled a list of things I will need for this project but I had some questions. I've hear there are some wiring harness problems and issues with the vtec as well. Is there a way I can just change wiring harnesses without having to splice wires and otherwise ghettorig this thing? I want it to work like it's factory instead of having funky issues. I'm not too concerned about changing the guages out for the manual ones right off the bat. Here's my list so far-

Transmissions Assembly
Transmission mounts - side
Flywheel and bolts
Clutch Kit and bolts
Clutch reservoir and plumbing
Clutch Master Cylinder
Clutch Slave Cylinder
Hydraulic Lines
Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS)
Reverse Lights Switch
Clutch Pedal Assembly (bracket, sensors, nuts, bolts)
Brake pedal from manual Accord
Shifter Assembly (cables, nuts, bolts, seals, shift knob, and boot in black)
Shift linkage
5 speed ECU (must be 2001 Accord 2.3 manual)
5 speed Intermediate shaft (Driver's side half-shaft)
5 speed starter (Do I need this?)

komodomoe

Reaction score
Thanks, Do you know of the VTEC or electronic interfacing issues? will it plug in or do I need to monkey with the wires?

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I think there are some threads on wiring up VSS and Vtec if that's what you're on about. There is custom wiring involved. I'll let the experts chime in on that. But spend some time searching and check the 5spd swap info in the DIY section if you haven't already.

komodomoe

Reaction score
Hey, thanks again. I've been lurking over there, I just want some info for my specific model engine and tranny. Both are F23a1 and the engine is from an 01'. I'm still deciding which tranny to get but I don't know if year will make a difference as long as I'm still within the 6th gen Accords (98-02)

Valet

IS300 SX > Accord
Reaction score
Year doesn't matter as far as transmission.

You can choose an H22 (prelude) trans if you wish with no issues.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
I would just go with what's been proven to work. The transmission you pick up should already have the VSS in it, but you'll need to cut the plug off the donor car along with a few inches of wiring.

You'll need to have the correct ECU and either have it reprogrammed to your key or remove the immobilizer. If you really feel like completely rewiring behind the dash, you could do that instead of splicing wires like the rest of us did. Everyone did their wiring a little different depending on needs/wants and year of vehicle. I myself did the bare mininum to make it run/drive. Others completely redid their wiring to make sure everything worked properly.

komodomoe

Reaction score
Where are the wiring diagrams? And is the only electronic component that needs to be wired in on the tranny the vss?

tenog23vtec

Reaction score
im doing an auto to manual swap on my 2002 accord se. i ran into the axle issue. so i have a spare 94 accord lx manual and im using the parts off that car. i took the transmission off the 94 and put it on my car. the right axle went in no problem. the left axle seems short..which axle do i buy to fit without buying a new left half shaft?

NASOHC

Reaction score
im doing an auto to manual swap on my 2002 accord se. i ran into the axle issue. so i have a spare 94 accord lx manual and im using the parts off that car. i took the transmission off the 94 and put it on my car. the right axle went in no problem. the left axle seems short..which axle do i buy to fit without buying a new left half shaft?

You need the correct "half shaft" and it'll be fine.

Back