Auto transmission compatibility

justin_l_

Reaction score
Are all 6 gen auto 4 cylinder trans compatible? I have a 98 lx and am looking to put in a 02 value package non vtec car transmission.

Also going to install a translab kit to hopefully prolong the life of the transmission. Interestingly it says that after the kit is installed there is no longer a need to use Honda transmission fluid.

Edit why the hell can't I create a thread with tags? Damn this place is restrictive.... Must be a Honda thing :eh:

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
It'll physically bolt up but you'll probably have to use the auto trans ecu from that vehicle. I don't think anyone's ever attempted it so you're in new waters here.

Oh, and BS on that kit. Just change the fluid in regular intervals.

justin_l_

Reaction score
Why are you calling BS on that kit? They make some good stuff for the DSM world. You have any first hand experience or just assuming like most people on the internet?

Does the transmission have a seperate computer from the engine ECU? If so where is it located?

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
There is nothing out there that will improve the automatic Honda transmission that much. Sorry, that's just the facts of it.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
new kit details problems I haven't experienced. Sticking CPC valve is interesting, IB sticking cause of crap in ATF/wrong ATF. Stick by the rules for a bit and see where things go.

rules: Honda ATF, keep it red!

justin_l_

Reaction score
There is nothing out there that will improve the automatic Honda transmission that much. Sorry, that's just the facts of it.
So you don't have first hand knowledge here, just assuming. Thanks.

new kit details problems I haven't experienced. Sticking CPC valve is interesting, IB sticking cause of crap in ATF/wrong ATF. Stick by the rules for a bit and see where things go.

rules: Honda ATF, keep it red!

Rules of the forum or rules of the Honda trans? I have service records of trans oil changes at 30k intervals. It is up to 102k and is slipping going into 2nd gear when cold. I have tried the fill/drain method 3 times in a few hundred miles with no success. It's been like this for the last 5k miles. Only does it when cold. After a few miles it drives fine again like there is nothing wrong.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
So you don't have first hand knowledge here, just assuming. Thanks.

Rules of the forum or rules of the Honda trans? I have service records of trans oil changes at 30k intervals. It is up to 102k and is slipping going into 2nd gear when cold. I have tried the fill/drain method 3 times in a few hundred miles with no success. It's been like this for the last 5k miles. Only does it when cold. After a few miles it drives fine again like there is nothing wrong.

I've had/worked on automatic Hondas and work for Honda. I think I have plenty of first hand knowledge.

He's referring to rules of the Honda trans. Some slippage on a cold trans is normal. If it's still slipping after it's reached normal operating temp then you should be worried. Also if the fluid smells burned or is brown instead of a bright red.

We're not being ****s. We've all been through and seen/heard multiple things that are supposed to prolong or help improve the Honda automatic transmission. You know what works? Just changing the fluid and in some cases a transmission cooler, that's it.

Back