CEL after catback install

BlankWoody

Reaction score
Alright guys, I just finish doing my oil change. And im popping vtec now. It goes up to 5k rpms in park. I'm seafoaming it later this weekend. I noticed two things from driving it around the neighborhood. My coolant is leaking from a hose near the distributor. Another thing is when I'm accelerating theres a woosh sound underneath the drivers side. Im still going to clean my vtec solenoid but i wanted to address these issues as well!
Anyone know or have they heard of these issues?

xci.ed6

Reaction score
a sound like that is fairly generic, start by 'pokin' stuff. Set it on a jack, pull the wheel, poke, press, pull everything in under, over, and inside you can find.

james'99

Reaction score
Alright guys, I just finish doing my oil change. And im popping vtec now. It goes up to 5k rpms in park. I'm seafoaming it later this weekend. I noticed two things from driving it around the neighborhood. My coolant is leaking from a hose near the distributor. Another thing is when I'm accelerating theres a woosh sound underneath the drivers side. Im still going to clean my vtec solenoid but i wanted to address these issues as well!
Anyone know or have they heard of these issues?

As for the coolant leak, is the leak from the hose or the part bolted to the block?

If from the hose, get some scotchbrite, clean the surface where the hose is seated well and clean the inside of the hose, reinstall and try that. If no go, you can try a screw based hose clamp of just replace the hose.

The inlet bolted to the block? Just remove the two bolts (I think its two), replace gasket, clean both surfaces with scotchbrite and you should be good to go.

BlankWoody

Reaction score
I still haven't figured out the "whoosh sound"
But the leak is coming from the water pump I believe. Its somewhere behind and under the distributor. So i'm guessing its the water pump. The liquid that has been leaking has been clear, so I'm guessing its water. Regarding the whoosh sound when i accelerate, I lifted my car up with my jack and i played around with everything near the down pipe to the cat back. Couldn't find anything. Any comments regarding this?? My friend said it could be my catalytic converter making that sound but i dont see how.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Is it an exhaust noise?

Yes, it could be your cat.

Shake your exhaust around by grabbing the cat, probly should be cold....

Hear rattling?

When you drive the car, how hot does the cat get? An infrared temp gun may help you here.

Non-Contact_Infrared_Thermometer_Temperature_Laser_Gun.jpg

james'99

Reaction score
Is it an exhaust noise?

Yes, it could be your cat.

Shake your exhaust around by grabbing the cat, probly should be cold....

Hear rattling?

When you drive the car, how hot does the cat get? An infrared temp gun may help you here.

Non-Contact_Infrared_Thermometer_Temperature_Laser_Gun.jpg

+1, this happened to me. I upgraded to a Magnaflow cat. It's been great to me.

On another note, check your thermostat housing. Water pump is on the other side of the motor and is driven by the timing belt so I think you are in the clear there.

BlankWoody

Reaction score
I cleaned the vtec Solenoid, seafoamed my engine got my exhaust hangers re-welded to fit perfectly. Now two more issues continue. The catalytic converter is brand new i bought when i got the catback. But its showing symptoms of it being clogged. When I'm going uphill or downhill and accelerate theres a sputtering noise like something is stuck and of course the famous spoiled egg smell. I was thinking it was running rich but i havent encountered any other symptoms of it running rich. Another issue i found was i was leaking oil and coolant before near the solenoid. Im trying to fix the cat issue first before i tackle the coolant and oil leak. I bought the cat from autozone it was a Walker New york Cat. There's a magnaflow that's 173.99. Was wondering what type of magnaflow cat you got james'99 .

james'99

Reaction score
I cleaned the vtec Solenoid, seafoamed my engine got my exhaust hangers re-welded to fit perfectly. Now two more issues continue. The catalytic converter is brand new i bought when i got the catback. But its showing symptoms of it being clogged. When I'm going uphill or downhill and accelerate theres a sputtering noise like something is stuck and of course the famous spoiled egg smell. I was thinking it was running rich but i havent encountered any other symptoms of it running rich. Another issue i found was i was leaking oil and coolant before near the solenoid. Im trying to fix the cat issue first before i tackle the coolant and oil leak. I bought the cat from autozone it was a Walker New york Cat. There's a magnaflow that's 173.99. Was wondering what type of magnaflow cat you got james'99 .

I'm fairly certain Magnaflow only has the one for our car. But this is what's on my car...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/magnaflow-direct-fit-catalytic-converter-22642/22317067-P?searchTerm=catalytic+converter

I used that cat that you are referring to on a friends car about a year ago. This one.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/walker-direct-fit-catalytic-converter-16370/26010040-P?searchTerm=catalytic+converter

I personally didn't have an issue with it. I like my Magnaflow though!

Last edited:

BlankWoody

Reaction score
I'm fairly certain Magnaflow only has the one for our car. But this is what's on my car...

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/magnaflow-direct-fit-catalytic-converter-22642/22317067-P?searchTerm=catalytic+converter

I used that cat that you are referring to on a friends car about a year ago. This one.

http://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/walker-direct-fit-catalytic-converter-16370/26010040-P?searchTerm=catalytic+converter

I personally didn't have an issue with it. I like my Magnaflow though!

Thanks man. I got a friend that works at O'reilly he's gonna go ahead and buy me that MagnaFlow. Hopefully that solves the issue. Im still on stock air intake. Do you think that is affecting anything. not enough air going through the engine?

james'99

Reaction score
Thanks man. I got a friend that works at O'reilly he's gonna go ahead and buy me that MagnaFlow. Hopefully that solves the issue. Im still on stock air intake. Do you think that is affecting anything. not enough air going through the engine?

I mean, an intake would help but not necessarily a necessity. I think it would make a huge difference though. I mean, you can't have output without input.

Back