f23 build

hotaccord243

Reaction score
UPDATE!!!! dyno sheet and video up on page 14!!!

UPDATE!!!!! here it is day #1 outta 2 motors out, new ones half assembled heres some pictures on the pag Motor going in the car and

tuned on Oct 4th and 5th will post video, dyno, and graph, etc. immediately after!!!!!

This is a new thread, but has been going on since like april 05', but heres whats happened over the past 2 years +......

I just thought i had to share my story so far on how the project is going
read if you want (the stock f23 accord motor SOHC 4 cyl)

i have a custom turbo kit running about 7-8 psi on a stock motor, with an aem ems, pushing 250 or so to the wheel. I ran the car up at Brainerd on the road race track, back in April of '05 back then it wasnt as powerful and tuned with a SAFCII, and i blew the motor, too much heat from constant boost (kind of a dumb idea on my part but oh well).

So i had the motor ripped apart, turns out i cracked a couple of pistons and rings. i had decided to get it sleeved and built, well the long and short of it is, a shop in CA took over 8 months before we realized it was taking to long, so we had it shipped back, and out to Nebraska, this guy never answered his phone, the shop had his buddy pick it up, and ended up going to jail, which they locked up my motor, because he owed money or something. So the shop i go through bought a new block. (ticking on about 13-14 months now), found a local shop in MN to do it, he bored it halfway, and then had to close, then i found Dick Burns in Wyzata. i found out that block was cracked, ordered a new one, and now after 20 some months i have it sleeved and a polished crank.

The total is four blocks (the one i blew, the one thats cracked, the one thats sleeved, and the extra used one in my car) and four shops in 20 some months to sleeve a block!

The block is now decked, sleeved, machined, and only rough honed so far.... the other shop i go to will be doing the fine honing.

Enough talk heres the pictures of before and after:
BEFORE:
IMG_0134-1.jpg

AFTER:
IMG_0154.jpg

IMG_0157.jpg

And the plan of the build:

Darton ductile iron replacement sleeves
Polished crank
Crower Rods
Custom JE pistons (9:1)
New piston rings (obviously)
ferrea valves
JG engine dynamics valve springs, retainers
ARP head studs
New bearings, gaskets, oil pump, water pump etc. etc.
Injectors (probably 770+)

Heres the bottom end assembled:
IMG_0184.jpg

IMG_0182.jpg

had trouble with the valve springs, had to return them, and order new ones, but they came in today and heres some pictures:
IMG_2161.jpg

IMG_2162.jpg

awaiting assembly, install, and tuning!

Last edited:

hotaccord243

Reaction score
well, im running a precision sc34 t3/t4 hybrid, fully custom kit.

yeah trust me, this whole process has sucked so far, haha, but i'm happy im just close to the end, so i thought id post the story, and process

hotaccord243

Reaction score
well, im broke, im very frustrated, but, in the long run, so far...

its worth every minute and penny, especially knowing the power outcome (up to 480) and having a story to it too.

hotaccord243

Reaction score
that's awesome to hear of another build! i always love hearing of others doing similar things like this, cause thats whats inspired me to do this very thing!

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
what specs did you give JE for the pistons? how custom are they...like, are they close to another application?

also what cam and engine management are you using? im curious for *ahem* "future purposes" :D

WhiteAccord

Banned
Reaction score
that's awesome to hear of another build! i always love hearing of others doing similar things like this, cause thats whats inspired me to do this very thing!

Ill be running Sleeved block by Darton, F23 Crower rods, k20 Wisecon Pistons(86mm 9:1), and H23(F23) ARP Head studs. And then a turbonetics Turbo Kit. Just something to get some power out of the motor before it goes out on me. After that a fully builT H22 motor(Already Have(Not Built)) after it dies.

BlkCurrantKord

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Come on everybody throw their builds in here!! I just picked up a bare block to go with the F23 crank sitting in my garage. OEM stroker and DOHC...

Back