Detailing Master Thread

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
so, i'm interested in learning more about detailing the car. I know the basic like claybar and wax, but when it comes to polish, buffer and so on, i'm lost haha. I know some of the guys on here do bodywork and detailing for a living, so it'll be great to get some input on this from them. Here's the format that i'm thinking of:

1. Scenario: Swirl removal (for example)

2.Tools/ Machines Required (include where these items can be purchased at):

3. Recommended wax/ compound/ polish (include where these items can be purchased at):

4. Prep work:

5. Step-by-step procedure:

halfpinoythug

Reaction score
yeah i too would like to know how to get swirls out. ive used a couple products but didnt get the results i was lookin for

Chris Vu

Reaction score
I'm sure this thread is gonna be filled with Meguiar's DA and some M105/M205, or CG products :peace:

turbo_911

Reaction score
1. Scenario: Swirl removal (for example)

2.Tools/ Machines Required (include where these items can be purchased at):
Just swirl remover can be achieved with DA polisher. I use Meguiars DA polisher, some people use Porter Cable. You can buy them at autogeek.net or some other website online, even amazon sells them. Just search around for best price and kits.

3. Recommended wax/ compound/ polish (include where these items can be purchased at):
Since I have always used Meguiars products, you can start working with Meguiars M105 compound and Meguiars yellow pad. After that you can finish off with M205 and Meguiars yellow pad that will remove hazing if it is present. At the end you can top it off with either choice of your wax (I use Meguiars NXT 2.0 wax, D151 and D303) not all of them are sold at the store. There is a new system that came out, called Microfiber DA polishing kit, it is a bit expensive but does very nice job on removing swirls and moderate defects. All of that can be purchased at the sites mentioned above

4. Prep work:
Depends on the person. You can wash it, clay bar (if needed) and tape up all the trim and rubber stuff (beginners usually do that or if it is expensive car) I do it only on expensive cars but from experience I don't usually tape it off, unless like mentioned the car is $30k+ lol.

5. Step-by-step procedure:
That would be a lot of writing, and it is easier to find a youtube video and just watch it. Also every detailer has his own step by step procedure and the way he details the car, and don't think anyone would give a step by step, only general facts.

turbo_911

Reaction score
Oh and forgot to add that it would be better if you guys ask questions and people would answer them. It is a lot easier for me at least :)

Otherwise there is so much info that I won't know where to start...

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
drive to car wash
push button
park car
watch pretty colors
get blown (air dryer)
drive off

:lawl:...my lazy procedure

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
lol Roy I don't think I wanna type out everything I do, but I will give you a site to read up all about detailing. This is the same guide I used when I was starting out haha. After you read all of it and something still confuses you or your interested in learning about something in particular that sparks your interest then post em up haha. :)

http://www.detailedimage.com/Auto-Detailing-Guide/

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Product name and description (from Autogeek website):

Griot's Garage Heavy Duty Wheel Cleaner provides strong cleaning power in a pH-balanced, non-acidic, non-caustic formula. It's designed for car enthusiasts like you, who want clean wheels without sacrificing the safety of the wheel finish.

griothdwc.jpg

Product use: wheels

Wheel condition before:

DSC01120.jpg

Close up look:

DSC01121.jpg

During cleaning with agitation with the following products:

DSC01122.jpg

DSC01123.jpg

Final product after rinsed off:

DSC01124.jpg

Pros:

1. Able to be diluted to fit different scenarios
2. 8/10 cleaning power
3. Safe on all finishes
4. Foams well

Cons:

1. Priced at 18.00 for 35oz.
2. Smells really bad and strong
3. Might require an extra application for really pitted wheels containing brake dust

Final observations and opinions:

Having multiple wheel cleaners in my detailing arsenal allows me to experiment with a variety of products, and knowing which products works best with each specific situation. Pairing this product up against some of the other wheel cleaners I used would be unfair because each product is designed differently, but I feel this product did not work as well as I expected and I will not purchase it again. I would strongly prefer P21S Wheel Gel Cleaner over this based on price and performance.

Products used with detail:

Mf wash media
two 5 gallon buckets
grit Guard
swissvax wheel brush
daytona speed master wheel brush
griot's heavy duty wheel cleaner

all.i.see

Reaction score
So I have a question for detailing my car that hopefully someone can answer. I have some hand marks or finger marks from my car being dirty and me rubbing it stupidly or just brushing up against it at times. My buddy buffed some scuff marks out a while ago that did the job. So I thought by waxing it that it would come out but I guess not haha so I guess my question is do I need to buff the areas that have the left over marks from when it was dirty? or is that **** stuck on my paint for good? :/ Also can any detailers give advise on how they detail the exterior of cars? like wash, clay, buff, wax or wash then buff or just wash and wax kind of thing? Thanks :)

Edit: actually the detailedimage link above is quite useful

Last edited:
Back