What did you do today Auto Detailing related?

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
Re: What did you do today Detailing related?

Cleaned, Decontaminated, and Opti Coated my wheels yesterday. Let them cure for 24hrs without being exposed to nature's elements. Afterwards mounted them back onto the car and misted some water on it to double check the beading to make sure they were properly coated. Check out the pics:

Very Tight Water Beads

My favorite shot

Process:

Washed with soap and water
Decontaminated with Iron X to remove iron particles from brake dust, railroad tracks, airborne particles
Rinsed with water then dried
2 applications of Carpro Eraser to ensure the surface is clean to ensure proper bonding
Applied Opti Coat 2.0
Let it sit for 3-5 mins before buffing off
Let it cure for 24 hrs before being exposed to elements

Any comments, questions, or suggestions, feel free to leave a remark. Thank you for viewing.

For more information on Opti Coat 2.0, what it is, what it does, and what are the benefits of a coating

http://www.detailedimage.com/Ask-a-Pro/product-review-optimum-opti-coat-2-0/

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score

So today Ive started to tedious task of tearing down my wheels for cleaning, and maybe a wheel-face refinish....ugh, polishing sucks.

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

So today Ive started to tedious task of tearing down my wheels for cleaning, and maybe a wheel-face refinish....ugh, polishing sucks.

You got a picture of the wheels you working with?

Cleaned up my beat up Apexi WS2 I bought from Roy. I was hoping to not use 0000 steel wool, but it was too beat up not to use it. If your muffler is in good condition, do not use any steel wool in conjunction with alum polish because it will leave light scratches. Although the scratches can be polished out, stainless steel is very hard so it requires a lot of effort to remove the fine scratches out.

Before

50/50

After

Before

After

Completed shots

Products used:
Quick detailer for initial wipe down
0000 steel wool paired with Mothers Mag & Aluminum polish

Any comments, questions, or suggestions, feel free to leave a remark. Thank you for viewing.

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score

You got a picture of the wheels you working with?

Just the same wheels Ive had the last couple of summers. SSR Koenig's. I recently looked into the difference between the Koenigs and the Monster K's (these wheels were advertised as Monster K's). Turns out they aren't the limited production Monsters, and are the regualr Koenig's. Boooo...Anyway, people always like pictures...

Im tearing them down completely and repolishing the lips out. I was going to refinish the faces, but I think I'll put more thought into it for now.

Untitled3_zps4e4e879c.png

Untitled2_zps4ea3a53a.png

20140223_160447_zpse9874dc9.jpg

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score

Are those one piece, two piece, or three piece wheels? You're going to have fun with the bolts if they can come off haha. The back of the wheels looks bad, but nothing too terrible with baked on brake bust. You planning to seal the wheels with some paint sealant to protect it a little better?

Thanks Jon!

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score

Are those one piece, two piece, or three piece wheels? You're going to have fun with the bolts if they can come off haha. The back of the wheels looks bad, but nothing too terrible with baked on brake bust. You planning to seal the wheels with some paint sealant to protect it a little better?

3-piece. No problems with taking the wheel bolts out at all. Nothing is baked on...I dont plan to add any sealant besides the polish, maybe Klassy on the faces. Maybe things look worse in the pictures but the brake dust wipes off the powdercoat with just water...It's been pretty easy besides re-assembling the wheels.

If you think that is bad...wait til you see the front wheels.

kn0x47

Reaction score

3-piece. No problems with taking the wheel bolts out at all. Nothing is baked on...I dont plan to add any sealant besides the polish, maybe Klassy on the faces. Maybe things look worse in the pictures but the brake dust wipes off the powdercoat with just water...It's been pretty easy besides re-assembling the wheels.

If you think that is bad...wait til you see the front wheels.

What'd you do to get the lips back to a mirror polish? I need to clean mine up.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score

I wipe my lips down every single time it rains to help the polished finish last longer before needing a re-polish.. Such a PITA, but I just made a habit of it. First time I saw what standing water did to one spot on my lips was enough motivation.

Nice job on that muffler, Lem!

99cfENVYv6

Reaction score

What'd you do to get the lips back to a mirror polish? I need to clean mine up.

Steel wool and polish...you only need the steel wool if theres water spots. When I re-finished the wheels 3 years ago there was no clear put over the lips, I probably should at some point.

I'm frustrated with these wheels right now. When I bought them, one wheel was missing a wheel bolt which I can not seem to source. Its m6x1x32, and impossible to find. Well, not impossible, I did locate one shop that sells them, but the shipping is 59 dollars because they ship out of Germany. Fack

Back