Problem with Bayson R lip?

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I recently purchased a lip from Bayson R for the 01-02 coupe bumper and it's the oe rep they make. I went to put it on and it's like an inch too short and just doesn't fit the bumper well at all. I'll try and get a picture or something but it won't show much. I'm pretty mad because I really liked this lip and payed a decent amount for it. Any ideas of what I could try? I usually hear nothing but good things about Bayson R.

puzzlemaster94

6GA Connoisseur
Reaction score
I recently purchased a lip from Bayson R for the 01-02 coupe bumper and it's the oe rep they make. I went to put it on and it's like an inch too short and just doesn't fit the bumper well at all. I'll try and get a picture or something but it won't show much. I'm pretty mad because I really liked this lip and payed a decent amount for it. Any ideas of what I could try? I usually hear nothing but good things about Bayson R.

Did you order it from BaysonR's website or from eBay with BaysonR in the name? I've heard they were different products at one time.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Let me see If I can be a help, buddy.

I got my front lip on ebay by the seller "baysonr" in '13.
 ↓
http://www.ebay.com/usr/baysonr?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Unless they didn't changed the way of its production process after '13, the lip is welded by 3 pieces. On the back of the lip, you should see 2 sections that are welded, right around the corner of the lip that are meant to have a contact with your front bumper. Those welded spots on mine had some chunks, not making a firm contact with my bumper, so I shaved those off to smooth them out. I also remember I did the same thing on the entire section for the 3M tape to be attached, or anywhere the lip was supposed to make a contact w/ the bumper.

If your sections are rough / bumpy, try shaving them off. I don't really recall the lip being so off on the test-fitting phase, but my front lip was a perfect fit along w/ the OEM lines on the bumper after all.

Btw, your 01-02 bumper is OEM, correct?

Assuming that you got the lip from "baysonr" on eBay, the only thing I can think of is that they may have reproduced the lip after '13, and its shape got slightly changed somehow.. but it shouldn't be different b/c they would get many complaints, if they really did..

I've seen a few different ways of their packaging by seeing our members' pics. Mine came in "wrapped" by card boards w/ bubble wraps, instead of being "boxed" in a card board box. The middle section was slightly bent since it was only wrapped, so I had to play around with the heat gun to flatten out the middle of the bottom section a little bit.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:

Jordan_H

Reaction score
Let me see If I can be a help, buddy.

I got my front lip on ebay by the seller "baysonr" in '13.
 ↓
http://www.ebay.com/usr/baysonr?_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2754

Unless they didn't changed the way of its production process after '13, the lip is welded by 3 pieces. On the back of the lip, you should see 2 sections that are welded, right around the corner of the lip that are meant to have a contact with your front bumper. Those welded spots on mine had some chunks, not making a firm contact with my bumper, so I shaved those off to smooth them out. I also remember I did the same thing on the entire section for the 3M tape to be attached, or anywhere the lip was supposed to make a contact w/ the bumper.

If your sections are rough / bumpy, try shaving them off. I don't really recall the lip being so off on the test-fitting phase, but my front lip was a perfect fit along w/ the OEM lines on the bumper after all.

Btw, your 01-02 bumper is OEM, correct?

Assuming that you got the lip from "baysonr" on eBay, the only thing I can think of is that they may have reproduced the lip after '13, and its shape got slightly changed somehow.. but it shouldn't be different b/c they would get many complaints, if they really did..

I've seen a few different ways of their packaging by seeing our members' pics. Mine came in "wrapped" by card boards w/ bubble wraps, instead of being "boxed" in a card board box. The middle section was slightly bent since it was only wrapped, so I had to play around with the heat gun to flatten out the middle of the bottom section a little bit.

Hope this helps.

Bumper is technically not oem but it's the best aftermarket replica according to reviews. It could be the bumpers fault but I highly doubt it and it if it was not this extent. I'll try the shaving thing and see if that helps at all. Mine came boxed the same way as yours. I really hope I get this lip to work.

Jordan_H

Reaction score
I got it to fit decently. Not quite up to standard I would like but I'll try shaving some areas and see if that helps at all. Bayson R did contact me but I doubt they would let me exchange it. Hopefully tomorrow I'll shave the lip tomorrow and if it that turns out okay I might paint it too.

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score
Bumper is technically not oem but it's the best aftermarket replica according to reviews. It could be the bumpers fault but I highly doubt it and it if it was not this extent. I'll try the shaving thing and see if that helps at all. Mine came boxed the same way as yours. I really hope I get this lip to work.
I got it to fit decently. Not quite up to standard I would like but I'll try shaving some areas and see if that helps at all. Bayson R did contact me but I doubt they would let me exchange it. Hopefully tomorrow I'll shave the lip tomorrow and if it that turns out okay I might paint it too.
Glad to hear it's working out. As far as the shaving goes, using a dremel tool w/ the disk-shaped sanding bit works the most effective, based on my experience. I also modified the exterior of the lip by shaving the both sides, and found out that the whole piece is pretty thick so you shouldn't be worrying about the thickness when shaving. If you continually shave off those sections that meet your bumper & where the 3M tape gets attached, I'm pretty sure it will eventually be a perfect fit. Even if you accidently end up shaving it too much on a particular section, doubling the tape will fix its fitment. (My rear lip has been taped double on one section in the middle, but it's looking & attached just fine.)
IMG_0355__zpswzc9qqyw.jpg

Last edited:
Back