Brakes Failing

DShaw

Reaction score
I just bought a 00' accord ex 4cyl. It drives great and the brakes worked fine on the test drives and for the first 40 or so miles. When pulling back up at home I sat in the driveway holding the brake (slight hill) and the pedal slowly went to the floor. I took it back around the block and it got worse and now there's no pedal pressure. I can pump it and get a little pressure back but it quickly loses it. The fluid was full and I don't see and wet spots on the back of the rear drums and it doesn't seem to be losing fluid anywhere. The master cyl is a Honda oem unit so I figured it may be the original (201k miles). When I took it off and bench tested it seems to have good pressure. The NK1 ABS unit looks new, I don't know if it's the factory one and it just stayed clean or if it's been replaced. At this point I guess I'll bleed the master cyl, replace it and bleed the whole system and see what happens. Maybe there was just air in the lines and I should've just bled it to begin with. When I saw the Honda master cyl and how soft the pedal was I figured it had to be the MC. I already got a replacement but I'm going to return it. If anyone has any suggestions on what to check or what might be wrong please let me know. I hope I posted this in the right place. I appreciate any input.

dawg316

Reaction score
sounds 90% like the master. id switch it for peace of mind. rember to bench bleed it first

also take off your drums and carfully with a pick peel back the boots on the wheel cylinders and see for moisture / sweat.

if you find wetness change em out

sounds like a master for shure tho.

DShaw

Reaction score
Thanks. It was the master cyl. I should've just replaced it right away but I wasted time trying to diagnose because I didn't want to throw $80 at it and still have the problem. Pedal to the floor and no fluid loss was all the diagnosis I really needed. At least I learned from my own experience and next time I'll know. Also I have rear disks lol. I never even noticed them from the front, I only looked at the back of them from underneath and the dust shield looked like the back of a drum. This is the newest car I've owned. I'm used to working on Toyota trucks with carbed 22r motors w/o ABS or my 4AG MR2. Anyways thank you guys for the replies. I'm going to browse the other threads now and see how long I can go without modifying something on this accord.

Back