Planning f23 rebuild

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
might as well add k20 pistons if u're tearing the motor apart

Rusty Accord

Reaction score
Ok so driving around town my car does not consume much oil. But driving to work at Toyota and back now is eating more oil as I am cruising around 80-85 mph at around 3000-3200 rpm. This maintained high cruising rpm is eating a quart of oil in 250 miles. I added a quart of Lucas to it this morning before work. I'm hoping bad valve seals is all it is. My friend did say he saw smoke coming out my tailpipe. I hope it isn't piston rings.

At this point, I'd stop driving it to work, and work on gathering up what I needed for a rebuild. Get your self an engine stand if you don't already have one, and see about borrowing or renting a cherry picker to get the engine out. You might as well start in on it, so that you can get the engine block over to the machinist, as he might have a long back up. When I last saw mine, he had a 6 week wait before he'd even get to it. I only sent a pair of heads to him, while a buddy of mine dropped off a block and a pair of heads (got them back in 4 weeks). He didn't see them come back for a little over 2 months. Like I said, I don't know how busy your guy is, but mine's very busy, and stays busy (good ones are).

A quart every 250 miles will get rid of your mosquito problem though, if you continue to drive it. Hopefully you don't blow it up before you go to tear it down, as it would be nice to know what went inside (rings or valve stem seals).

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
I'm ok with adding some oil...I just bought a house and we close in 3-4 weeks. So buying parts is out of the question right now. The car runs fine. Just burns some oil at the higher RPMs. The Lucas seems to be helping because it's not burning much at the moment. Maybe half as much. I can deal with that until I get some money saved up.

What exactly is involved in installing k20 pistons? Just reverse them and install them with all the stock f23a1 block and head. And have at it? Or am I gonna need some kind of tuning?

I would like to get a VAFC simply to adjust my vtec to 4K so I'm not cruising on the highly in vtec for no reason.

Nam1911a1

Reaction score
Ok so I added some Lucas engine stop leak and it is actually working. I have always had good experiences and results with Lucas oil products. I have not burned ANY oil in the past 300 miles even cruising. At 3000-3200 rpm. And my calculated mileage has been between 25-30 mph with 90% of that interstate cruising at 80-85mph.

I still plan on resealing and gaskets this winter.

WilDFirE

Reaction score
My main goal of rebuilding is to have a reliable car to drive to work for the next 20-30 years. Buying a used motor is a dice roll on how the previous owner maintained the motor.

I'm looking at the long term. Not short term. Also I like building things.

20-30 years... wow coach you guys must not get a lot of winter road salt there in southern indy cause this 6th gen has started to show signs of the cancer. i wish i could just find another low mileage one in a southern or western state.

Back