THE Intake Review Thread

NashvegasCG

Reaction score
Brand & model: Leftover turbo piping/ spectre pre-oiled filter
Price paid and from where: free from my box of old parts
Pros: Sounds good, you can hear it whistle from 10 feet away and it barks at anything over 3400rpm. Not as much low end as mid gain, but the sound is unmistakeable.
Cons: Gets in the way of some of the breather hard pipes
Final verdict: Cheap, easy to install, and great sound

will post pics tonight

av6_sm1ke

Reaction score
Brand & model: eBay generic SRI w/ CAI extension
Price paid and from where: $35 from an eBay vendor
Pros: Sound sound sound! Couldn't go wrong with the low price, at least that's what I thought (check the next Cons section for more details). Came with a decent filter, but the fitment was pretty bad. It was hard to get the mounting bracket to sit snugly. Once everything was in place though, it sounded great. Initially had it set up as a CAI, then converted it to SRI. Gives the V6 motor a really aggressive tone. Will post a video when I get it uploaded to youtube.
**Edit: Here's the link to the videohttp://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fnuhqujKbMc
Cons: After about a year of use, the mounting bracket broke, leaving a hole in the existing piping. I had to tape it up to prevent anything from getting inside. After that I'll never buy another eBay intake.
Pic:
4461079890_40a71f1478_b.jpg

Final verdict: Cheap product, poor fitment, great sound. But I wouldn't buy again since it broke on me.

Brand & model: AEM V2 for J30A1
Price paid and from where: $160 from a forum member, can't remember if it was here or V6P
Pros: For me the best thing about this was the price, almost 50% off MSRP. As previously mentioned, the V2 provides a noticeable gain throughout the powerband, a subtle humming noise during idle, and when you let off the throttle at high RPMs it makes a sound similar to a blow-off valve, though not nearly as loud. I'll post a video of this once I upload it to youtube.
Cons: Normally it would only be price, but I got a great deal on it. The only other con would be the added risk of hydrolock, but I'm working on getting a bypass.
Final verdict: Cheap as far as AEM goes, but install was a bit tricky. Overall it was a great buy and its an awesome product. Would recommend to anyone, even with the $300 price tag.

Last edited:

russiansohcf23

Reaction score
Brand & model: Generic Black SRI w/ Spectre 3" filter.
Price paid and from where: I paid 23 bucks for the SRI from www.advancejdmparts.com. It didnt come with the filter which it was suppose to but whateva. I had to buy one on my own from autozone that was 25 bucks.
Pros: Im in love with the sound it makes at WOT. Its really loud that if i drive with my windows down and im on the gas pretty often, once I get home im deaf. The car feels quicker on the highway than before.
Cons: Gas mileage is ehhh nothing major has changed, maybe 1-2mpgs.
Final verdict: The filter cost more than the intake pipe itself. The kit was missing a coupler and a filter of course. But other than that, im pretty happy with my purchase. Id recommend it to everyone who wants a cheap mod that gives the car a deep sound at any speed, low or WOT.

IMG_0364.jpg

BukHumNoy

Reaction score
Brand & model: AEM V2 with K&N filter
Price paid and from where: $60 from a friend $30 for the filter
Pros: Love the sound at WOT and when VTEC engages, easy install.
Cons: Loud humming noise gets aggravating at times lol but other then that nothing else.
Final verdict: Easy install, good sound at WOT and VTEC engage, the price i paid for it was a steal lol.

BowserCG6

Reaction score
Brand & Model: Spyder CAI
Price: About $60 shipped from eBay
Pros: Deep, throaty sound. Quiet until about 2800 rpm, then it starts to get loud. Sounds awesome at WOT and is fun to merge in on freeways. Also, CARB legal!
Cons: The "stay" bracket did not line up to any of the mounting points. There was a rattle, but i had to put some rubber to dampen the rattle a bit. Crappy filter. Seems like it can only filter out bugs and rocks.
Final Verdict: Felt like any generic intake, but just with a CARB sticker. I can hear the VTEC engage now and my car is a lot funner to drive. Also dont need to worry about any cop trouble :beer:

jkr1809

Reaction score
Brand & model: fujita cai
Price paid and from where: don't remember where but I paid 125
Pros: you can really hear and feel the difference compared to stock.
Cons: none
Final verdict: it's really an eye catcher when you open the hood and has a cool humming sound during idle. And also has a whistle sound when you press the gas and it's pretty loud. All in all it's good performance and appearance wise.

Crimzon

Reaction score
Brand: AEM Short Ram (V6)
Price: $140 from eBay
Pros: Sounds f***ing BEASTLY!
Cons: Performance gains are probably only in my head...
Verdict: Completely satisfied. Highly recommended if you want amazing sound and aren't overly concerned with increasing HP

turboaccord98

Reaction score
Brand: Ebay SRI
Price paid: came on car
Pros: sounds sweet, looks good under the hood
Cons: car still slow
Verdict: good buy dont waste money on a nice intake they dont do much

ZsleepizeZ

Reaction score
Brand & model:aem v2
Price paid and from where: 270 E auto parts (Local)
Pros:gives you a nice humming sound and a sound power gain
Cons:a little bit pricy.
Final verdict: nice intake, gives you what it says. just a little bit pricy

Accord_J30A

Reaction score
Brand & model: AEM V2 (J30)
Price paid and from where: $80 Got it from a friend
Pros: Love the sound. Make nice power especially at topend.
Cons: Not as loud as the SRI, can cause hydro lock.
Final verdict: Love it, everything is great. A bit overprice if you are buying it brand new.

Back