Transmission alternatives?

R3dC4p

Reaction score
So i'm the proud owner of a not all that new sixth gen with a grand total of 270,000 miles on it. Needles to say, i'm going to be swapping it asap. Well. I say swapping. I would prefer to keep an f23 in it and boost it a smidge, but I know the automatic transmission won't handle it very well, and I don't know a shop around me that will perform the manual swap... it's just a little out of my personal wheelhouse. My question for you intelligent superbeings: Is there any more durable a/t that is plug and play with the F23a1? if not, what is the easiest engine/transmission swap i could do that won't loose power or reliability? Car has to stay ODBII. Thanks guys!!!!

DarkSideAccord

nadeshiko fobz ftw..
Reaction score
trannies from the H22, H23 and F23 will fit... if u r going to boost, stick with the F23 tranny, but preferably in MT

HEADACHE CG6

Reaction score
I live in NC and I have a swap I done my self... I have a m2j5 trans for 150 that need rebuild but its a guy n NC that rebuild them very cheap and he buys the parts. Basic rebuild about 350 with carbon syncros and labor 2 hr job...

dawg316

Reaction score
you can boost an auto. just run an external cooler and keep the boost low.

an auto to 5 speed swap is a pretty big job , and wouldnt recomend it if its your daily driver seeing how your cars gonna be off the road for a few days.

I swear by the h22 trans or any shorter gears trans.

Short gears = faster acceleration = better 1/4 mile numbers

R3dC4p

Reaction score
I'm probably not gonna track it or auto-correct it unless I get someone to MT swap it. Haha. I just want a little more pickup and a few more ponies. Maybe touch 200-220 hp if I can. Stiffen up the suspension a bit and then all cosmetics.

Connie

Reaction score
I'm probably not gonna track it or auto-correct it unless I get someone to MT swap it. Haha. I just want a little more pickup and a few more ponies. Maybe touch 200-220 hp if I can. Stiffen up the suspension a bit and then all cosmetics.

If all you want is auto and 200ish hp, why not just trade for a V6? They were 200hp stock with the J30A1, and the JDM Odyssey J30A (bolts right in) is 210hp if you want a bit more.

I have almost half a million km on my 2002 J30A coupe, and only replaced the transmission once at 344k (not really a difficult job, btw, even without a hoist.)

The automatics do wear out, but if you maintain them as recommended, they can still last a very long time.

Back