Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 10/28/13

hotaccord243

Reaction score
Re: Going for a re-tune.... (Round #2) Updated 5/20/13

oh snap! glad to see your still working on this. mines been on the back burner for a few months getting ready for drift season.

you get a date set for the tune yet?

Not yet, found some oil leaking from somewhere....(of course) the exhaust needs some slight repair (backed into a curb :eusa_wall:) and will need to cut and weld a few sections in towards the back, and an alignment.

I'm thinking i'll call today for something towards the end of the week.

More to come later today.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Found the oil leak and of course it's on the mechanical oil pressure gauge.... right at the firewall, so instead of buying new line, I purchased a new carbon fiber faced Autometer electric oil pressure gauge and sending unit.

Also ordered a few 2.5" 45* mandrel bend piping to fix the exhaust.

All the stuff should be here by the end of the week. Probably work on it this weekend to fix everything and also build and weld in a battery base/tie down to hold the battery in place as well.

Last little fix to do after the above is to wire in the MSD to a switched source other than the ignition. Since it's been taken off of the constant battery power, the battery doesn't die anymore, however, it is harder to start with it wired into the ignition power wire off the fuse box.

After all this is done and repaired I will be scheduling a tune date immediately!!!

AFAccord

Reaction score

Found the oil leak and of course it's on the mechanical oil pressure gauge.... right at the firewall, so instead of buying new line, I purchased a new carbon fiber faced Autometer electric oil pressure gauge and sending unit.
:thumbsup: Electric oil pressure gauge is the way to go.

Also ordered a few 2.5" 45* mandrel bend piping to fix the exhaust.

What part of the exhaust is this? Why are you just running 2.5"?

Last little fix to do after the above is to wire in the MSD to a switched source other than the ignition. Since it's been taken off of the constant battery power, the battery doesn't die anymore, however, it is harder to start with it wired into the ignition power wire off the fuse box.

What gauge is the wire coming out of the MSD box? Have you considered just keeping the existing power source and using ignition to activate a relay for it? I can't imagine how you'd notice a difference with the box wired differently unless there are issues elsewhere with grounding or something.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

:thumbsup: Electric oil pressure gauge is the way to go.

completely agree with you on that one, my mistake for going otherwise in the beginning.

What part of the exhaust is this? Why are you just running 2.5"?

Its just the (2) 45 degree bends by the rear sway bar to the rear. Basically the last 2 feet (if that). It's always been 2.5" so don't want to change it now. Plan is to completely re-do the exhaust and downpipe to go 3" but at the same time upgrade the turbo too, and probably manifold later on as well. So don't want to change that now, lol.

What gauge is the wire coming out of the MSD box? Have you considered just keeping the existing power source and using ignition to activate a relay for it? I can't imagine how you'd notice a difference with the box wired differently unless there are issues elsewhere with grounding or something.

It is probably a 8/16 gauge wire. Basically whatever comes out of the box when you buy it. How would you do that? run it to a constant hot source, but use a relay and seperate wire to the ignition or switched source?

Well I have always noticed the MSD ignition draining the battery over time, so it's nothing new, just more noticable with the relocated battery and finally found it and trying to fix it.

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Oil gauge and sending unit went in last night. Sure enough it was one of the lines that was leaking..... So that should fix any of the major oil leaking....

This weekend i'll fix the exhaust and build a battery tie down. Then hopefully she'll be running well enough to where I can schedule a tune for next week!

hotaccord243

Reaction score

Well of course, the fuel pump on the Audi had to go out this weekend and was a $300 part to fix it, and got that running yesterday.

So spent more time on that than the "toy". Hopefully get around to fixing the exhaust and fabbing up a battery tray this week sometime soon. But until I recover from the fuel pump on the audi, tune is out another week or two at least, but well see how things go....

hotaccord243

Reaction score

cool keep us updated!

Will do! Spent the last few nights re-wiring all my gauges into the ignition power, so all the lights on the gauges and all of them have power when the ignition is on. Which fixed a problem i was having for a while.

Really all i need to do is fix the exhaust and i'll call for a tune. I'm hoping that will happen by Monday and then I can make a tune appointment....

Back