No resonator?

JJR512

Reaction score
I have a 98 V6 Coupe, and as discussed in another thread, a failed attempt by someone to steal my catalytic converter has left me without a resonator. Or pre-muffler, or pre-silencer, whatever it's called. The pipe was cut after the cat, and between the resonator and the split to the two mufflers.

What affect will there be by just replacing the missing section with plain exhaust piping, welded in at the cuts? Not replacing the resonator, just using straight piping.

I'm ok with it being a bit louder, but not obnoxiously loud. I'm less ok with it sounding crappy, though. I don't know if the missing part was intended to quiet the sound, or shape it.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
It will be louder. If you're worried about it sounding bad just weld in a resonator instead of pipe.

agginline86

Reaction score
might be a little raspy w/o the res, but it's common for res deletes to gain a little extra volume
youtube may have some clips to help

oakshaun

Reaction score
idk about v6 but, i had an old i4 with a spectre intake, my resonator rusted apart so i took it out, replaced with plain pipe.... from a truck.... that didn't quite fit. also, my welds leaked a little after several months. hand down and ALL of my car enthusiastic friends agreed HANDS DOWN the best sounding honda ever. complete pos. sounded like a beast absolutely no rice to it! so much so i'm debating doing the EXACT same thing to my new one.

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
V6s sound like magic with straight pipes or removed resonators.

It'll be drony on the highway though.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
It will definately be louder without the res but not abnoxios because its a v6 kinda a raspy roar if you dont like it just put in a new resonator

JJR512

Reaction score
Thanks everyone.

Just for my own clarification...the first bulge in the exhaust pipe that comes after that cat, is that technically a resonator, or is it technically called something else? This is the part I'm missing.

Then, technically, what is the next part called, the part that's shaped more like a muffler, which comes just before the split to the two actual mufflers near the tailpipe? I still have this part; the pipe was cut between this part, and the part I mentioned in the last paragraph.

The factory service manual does not describe either of these parts. It just points to the area where they are and says "intermediate pipe" if I remember correctly.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
Last edited:

JJR512

Reaction score
Yeah...Doesn't really answer my question, though. That link points to the first part I asked about, 12, and calls it "PIPE B, EX." It's part of the pipe, just wondering what that specific section of the pipe technically is. I'm assuming it's a resonator, I was just hoping for confirmation of that. It doesn't really matter, I was just curious to know.

Same thing with the other part, which based on your description, I'm guessing is technically a pre-silencer.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
Yeah...Doesn't really answer my question, though. That link points to the first part I asked about, 12, and calls it "PIPE B, EX." It's part of the pipe, just wondering what that specific section of the pipe technically is. I'm assuming it's a resonator, I was just hoping for confirmation of that. It doesn't really matter, I was just curious to know.

Same thing with the other part, which based on your description, I'm guessing is technically a pre-silencer.

according to partsgeek they are both resonator assemblies, front and rear,my bad for the confusion
http://www.partsgeek.com/catalog/2001/honda/accord/exhaust/exhaust_resonator_pipe.html

Back