car jerks in the morning from reverse to drive

HotboxF23

Reaction score
Went ahead and saw my mechanic. After seen the pics, he said that the seal is probably broken and will need a new one.

He also mentioned that the transmission bearing could be broken might , i'd need a new transmission. Only way to check it is to remove the axle.
Also since the transmission mount is weak. That will need replacement as well.

I went to transmission shop. They test drove the car. I explained to them the clunking/ jerk problem.

He said, the seal wouldn't cause the jerk but would cause my engine to act up unless i top it up.
He said the transmission mount will cause some vibration and the jerk will happen constantly but not my shifting.
He thinks the transmission valve are probably too 'sticky' in the morning. This is why i'm experiencing the jerk and the symptoms subsides after i drive the car for few mins.
This will be even worst in the winter.

Now i have 2 options.
Either i go ahead and do a full engine swap, possibly a jdm f23A engine and transmission. Those are running between $700 and $1000.

2. I fix the seal and the transmission mount and see what happens but i will pay for labor.

Get that axle seal replaced asap..Same as i originally suspected curse of the autos, hard shifts in the morning till you ride it off, best bet is to let it warm up beforehand maybe 5 minutes just to get the valves lubed and working efficiently..the low fluid from the axle leaking would definately cause jerking etc if the tranny gets low and the oil gets overworked..idk about the "engine acting up" he mentioned but i do know that from experience you let it warm up or it will be jumpy/jerky and shift harder because its still cold

with a bad mount you can feel it in the steering wheel its pretty evident if its bad, my steering wheel is dead still when my engine runs i can barely feel any vibration

and depends how much you wanna pay right now, my rule of thumb is "quickest and cheapest first" something simple can be a easy fix before swapping the entire engine/tranny imagine labor on that swap compared to an axle seal and top off+mount

themachine

Reaction score
Get that axle seal replaced asap..Same as i originally suspected curse of the autos, hard shifts in the morning till you ride it off, best bet is to let it warm up beforehand maybe 5 minutes just to get the valves lubed and working efficiently..the low fluid from the axle leaking would definately cause jerking etc if the tranny gets low and the oil gets overworked..idk about the "engine acting up" he mentioned but i do know that from experience you let it warm up or it will be jumpy/jerky and shift harder because its still cold

with a bad mount you can feel it in the steering wheel its pretty evident if its bad, my steering wheel is dead still when my engine runs i can barely feel any vibration

and depends how much you wanna pay right now, my rule of thumb is "quickest and cheapest first" something simple can be a easy fix before swapping the entire engine/tranny imagine labor on that swap compared to an axle seal and top off+mount

That's what i was thinking as well. Never know if this can fix it. The transmission was in pretty bad shape. I'm gonna order it online as the dealer is selling it for $243

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/...ormance/ROCA/EngineMount/Honda/RC-EM0016g.jpg

is the transmission mount the number 4 on the pic?

HotboxF23

Reaction score
That's what i was thinking as well. Never know if this can fix it. The transmission was in pretty bad shape. I'm gonna order it online as the dealer is selling it for $243

http://i274.photobucket.com/albums/...ormance/ROCA/EngineMount/Honda/RC-EM0016g.jpg

is the transmission mount the number 4 on the pic?

The transmission is in bad shape or transmission MOUNT? N honestly looks like the one on the top left of the picture closest to the transmission is the transmission mount

themachine

Reaction score
The transmission is in bad shape or transmission MOUNT? N honestly looks like the one on the top left of the picture closest to the transmission is the transmission mount

the transmission mount was in bad shape, i could actually move it with my hand..it was pretty loose.

I thought the one on the left side as well is the transmission one.

HotboxF23

Reaction score

themachine

Reaction score
and you are correct the other two on the right are engine mounts and the bottom is a "stopper" according to this Honda link

http://www.hondapartssales.com/lisl...l Components&vinnoT=&trim=&trans=&view=normal

Update:

Seal is now replaced. Axle looked pretty good as well.
Checked the mounts again, looks like the one in the back (with the vacuum line) is the one that needs to be replaced. Looks very bad. It's moving the engine back and forth when changing gears.
I will have to order it online as Honda have it for $243

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
ouch! At that price fill it with some caulk!

BTW, tried that, silicone works well. $5 fix!

Back