gathering experience

oakshaun

Reaction score
so, basically what i want is a collective of yall's experience of when NOT to go as cheap as possible when it comes to replacing parts. specifically, i really need a tune up, and i'm getting some money today.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
You should always be looking for the best part for the best value. When a project comes up and the car needs some work, do some research on what the average parts cost is....look at the low end, and look at the high end. Then decide what you're willing to spend for that task and find the best deal on the parts you want that will yield quality results. It is never worth buying cheap parts only to have to replace them sooner than you would have otherwise.

When it's a matter of OEM vs aftermarket parts, there are things I'd recommend using OEM parts for, like timing belt/water pump, UCA's, ball joints, etc. Basically the more crucial the function of that part, the better quality it should be whter that's OEM or aftermarket.

This is all common sense for the most part.

Last edited:

xci.ed6

Reaction score
I charge $40 to $120 per hr. Pay attention to aftermarket reviews, oem is what was installed originally, so expect as much.

HotboxF23

Reaction score
not saying OEM is bad I look at it this way..OEM is good stuff of course because it is original, but i believe that there are other places and sites that may have the part for cheaper. im not swimming in cash but i sure would fix my car if it breaks so yeah i'm saving anyway and some places even offer lifetime warranties so if you get good quality for less? so da f*k wat buuutttt some parts i would mess around with like ball joints or wheel bearings or basically anything that if it breaks i could pontentially die those i go OEM

oakshaun

Reaction score
You should always be looking for the best part for the best value. When a project comes up and the car needs some work, do some research on what the average parts cost is....look at the low end, and look at the high end. Then decide what you're willing to spend for that task and find the best deal on the parts you want that will yield quality results. It is never worth buying cheap parts only to have to replace them sooner than you would have otherwise.

When it's a matter of OEM vs aftermarket parts, there are things I'd recommend using OEM parts for, like timing belt/water pump, UCA's, ball joints, etc. Basically the more crucial the function of that part, the better quality it should be whter that's OEM or aftermarket.

This is all common sense for the most part.

well, i'm kinda thinking about the parts stores selling the exact same part for two different prices. and right now, i'm scraping by barely so options are limited i'm trying to spend as little money as possible and what i'm asking for is things to stay away from not oem vs aftermarket. i'm too damn broke for anything aftermarket that's better than oem. any specific parts or brand names that are almost the same as throwing away money?

oakshaun

Reaction score
not saying OEM is bad I look at it this way..OEM is good stuff of course because it is original, but i believe that there are other places and sites that may have the part for cheaper. im not swimming in cash but i sure would fix my car if it breaks so yeah i'm saving anyway and some places even offer lifetime warranties so if you get good quality for less? so da f*k wat buuutttt some parts i would mess around with like ball joints or wheel bearings or basically anything that if it breaks i could pontentially die those i go OEM

if you believe there are better places and sites... how bout some examples?

"so da f*k wat buuutttt some parts i would mess around with" wtf are you saying right there?

oakshaun

Reaction score
also you 3, not trying to be a **** but i feel like i may have sounded like one

HotboxF23

Reaction score
if you believe there are better places and sites... how bout some examples?

"so da f*k wat buuutttt some parts i would mess around with" wtf are you saying right there?

i shop partsgeek and rock auto from time to time and have never had problems and thats on VARIOUS cars and no one said BETTER, read my post i said "but i believe that there are other places and sites that may have the part for cheaper" and also i said "so if you get good quality for less? so da f*k wat" never once did i say ever that anything beats OEM why? you may ask..well because i dont believe so..so before ATTEMPTING to flame me try reading exactly what i said thanks.. also add a 'nt' to that 'would' you quoted me on and BINGO :Smoker:

oakshaun

Reaction score
i blame lack of nicotine for my personal actions hotbox.... before i flame you. ha, haha, ha.

Back