Removing Lens Tint help

HotboxF23

Reaction score
I plan on removing the lens tint from my front headlights and clearing the front by removing the amber reflectors..any ideas on how to do so i've heard gasoline, googone,carb cleaner(which im hesitant at trying) etc so i wanna know who's already done it, keep in mind its my headlights so i dont wanna f*k them up permanently
heres a pic to show what i need removed

CG6Lemon

Detailing Enthusiast
Reaction score
I do not have experience removing tint film from headlights, but I would stay away from any solvent, or adhesive remover. The headlights are made of polycarbonate which does not react well to harsh cleaners. What will happen is if any of the above get onto the headlight, it will cause a chemical burn/melting look to the lens. It happened to me before. I was not able to find a remedy to fix it completely.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
is it film like window tint or a spray on tint like niteshades? when i took the spray tint off of my tail lights, i used a rag and some acetone. put some acetone on the rag and then just wipe over the sprayed on tint area. definitely have them off the car when you do it, acetone will fuck your paint up, and have a clean rag and some water on the side and wipe that over after you do each swipe with the acetone. that's how i did my tail lights a couple times, and they cleaned off fine.

Thormx331

Reaction score
I've used goo gone which doesn't do a good job on thicker jobs. Goof off is something you will want to use which is a little stronger. And if your not too messy and do a quick job you can leave the headlights on the car.

I have used other chemicals before and cracked the center light on the rear experimenting so be carful what you use and try a little at a time and keep switching to a clean spot on the rag it will go faster.

agginline86

Reaction score
obviously you will want to go with the mildest thing you can do that will get it off

if it's a film, you might be able to get away with using WD-40
that shouldn't etch the plastic and is petroleum based so should work similar to gasoline I'd imagine

Otherwise wet sanding maybe? That's generally the premise behind those headlight restoring kits.

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
If you are going to clear coat the lenses I would wet sand the paint off with 2000 grit and a small pail of water, remember to keep the sandpaper wet and clean ;) At the same time wet sand the entire lense. This way you will prep the entire lense for clear. 2 birds bro... 2 birds.

After its dry make sure there are no shiny spots. Then use rubbing alcohol to remove any grease before you shoot them.

Sketch o5

Señor Greengo
Reaction score
if it's a film, you might be able to get away with using WD-40.

a film should just be able to peel off. it might come off in pieces, but it should still peel back for the most part. then just some goo gone for the residue left voer and you're good to go. that's what i did with the red tint film i had on my tail lights six years when i took it off a month ago.

J0hnalex

Reaction score
If you are going to clear coat the lenses I would wet sand the paint off with 2000 grit and a small pail of water, remember to keep the sandpaper wet and clean ;) At the same time wet sand the entire lense. This way you will prep the entire lense for clear. 2 birds bro... 2 birds.

After its dry make sure there are no shiny spots. Then use rubbing alcohol to remove any grease before you shoot them.

+1!!!
I've done every which way possible the best way is to suck it up and wet sand it off it will take the longest but will have no harmful affects! Plus it will look like new!

spacemonkee23

Reaction score
a film should just be able to peel off. it might come off in pieces, but it should still peel back for the most part. then just some goo gone for the residue left voer and you're good to go. that's what i did with the red tint film i had on my tail lights six years when i took it off a month ago.

I can't tell if it is a film or paint from the pic. If it is a vinyl, a heat gun will take it right off, followed by some goof off. If it actually is window tint film, a steamer will take it right off along with the residue. Paint, wet sand/clear coat.

So OP what is it? vinyl, window tint or paint?

Back