Under hood fuse/relay box swap

pdub3rd

Reaction score
After troubleshooting no headlights for over a week I got a rookie mechanic at work to help diagnose the problem. I was told the underhood fuse box was the culprit.

I work in IT at a salvage yard and have access to many parts for my 98 Accord Sedan EX V6. So at closing time on a Friday after receiving the diagnosis I scrambled to the yard to find a replacement. We only had 4 cylinder cars in the yard but the fuse box looked identical so I grabbed one and put it in that night. I think it was from a 99. It didn't have a fuse for the power seats or the 30 amp fuse for the abs motor so I put my old ones in.

The headlights and most everything works except ABS. The number 48 fuse for ABS (f/s) doesn't even have the connecting pins in the slot. So the ABS light is on and not functioning. On my 98 V6 the slot 52 isn't used but on this replacement box it's a 40 amp slot for VSC or TCS. It didn't have a fuse in it and I left it empty.

So I'm wondering if maybe this newer iteration of the fuse box uses that #52 fuse for those things and also replaces the #48 fuse for ABS(F/S)? I'm not really worried about the ABS not working because I don't really like it. I mainly just want to know if adding a fuse to #52 would solve the problem or not. Also will anything else be affected by leaving it non functional or than the supposed safety of ABS?

Last edited:

pdub3rd

Reaction score
2011-01-08_022047_fuse.pdf

pdub3rd

Reaction score
Well even though I don't care about ABS much, I figured I should at least try to use the exact part if possible. I went out to the yard and found another fuse box that exactly matched my broken one. Unless something in it was broken already I should be back up and running with headlights and ABS.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Cut wires for headlights or abs, add fuse/relay container.
/\ cheap perfect\/
Call Honda dealer & order

Your choice.

pdub3rd

Reaction score
So I tried another fuse box exactly like mine and the headlights didn't work again. Go figure. So now I'm back to no ABS.

In order to wire in a fuse for the ABS wouldn't I need to find the wire for ABS coming from the passengers under dash fuse box and intercept it with a fuse? And would I also have to find the wire for ABS coming out of the under hood fuse box?

Thanks for your reply. It's looking like getting the ABS to work with this used fuse box will be more trouble than it's worth. It's a pretty expensive part also whether new or used.

xci.ed6

Reaction score
Yeah, I don't have the diagram handy, but...

Fuse box has a TO abs wire?

Cut it.

Add fuse holder to it.

Other end of fuse needs power, right? Ign ON power, not constant? Find a wire like it, BEFORE fuses. 'T' in the other side of fuse holder, now you have abs.

Back