DIY: How to polish aluminum wheels.

blackcord

Reaction score
That came out really clean and shiny. But I wonder how long the shine will last before you need to apply more polish/wax.

It would be nice to clear coat that, but as you mentioned, clear coat probably would not stick to good to the polished surface.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
looks like alot of work! I usually do my own work when i curb rash my wheels, has happened a couple of times! If theres deep scratches on the lips you can also use a big file to file it down then sand. Its a little rougher and gets it out quick. It came out good steven! Rep!!!

Thanks a lot Corey. Love your polished wheels also, look so perfect in person. I've never though about using a big file :)

That came out really clean and shiny. But I wonder how long the shine will last before you need to apply more polish/wax.

It would be nice to clear coat that, but as you mentioned, clear coat probably would not stick to good to the polished surface.

I think any polished equipment/rims will get dirty fast and easily, but just clean it every weekend or so and you should be good.

Nocture

Reaction score
I finished polishing two months ago with the same EX wheels. I wouldn't skip from 800 to 1500 grit. You need to put 1000 grit in there. The best way to sand is a back and forth motion with a grit and the next grit up you sand at a 90 angle from the previous. That way you can see some of the cross cuts and sand them out. This way, when you compound then wax, the shine would be more bright.

You can see in this pic how important cross sanding is. When i finished polishing, you can see the lines. I didn't sand correctly.
32a3eac6.jpg

Fixed with cross sanding, while sanding I would see the lines and sand them out.
074a760c.jpg

You can stop at 2000 but if you want that brighter more chrome look, I would go for 2500, and if you can afford it 3000 paper. You don't wet sand with 3k, forgot why.

Another tip: The bucket of water for sanding, use dishwashing soap in there and get it sudsy. That way the sanding feels smoother and the material doesn't cling to the sandpaper as much.

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
I finished polishing two months ago with the same EX wheels. I wouldn't skip from 800 to 1500 grit. You need to put 1000 grit in there. The best way to sand is a back and forth motion with a grit and the next grit up you sand at a 90 angle from the previous. That way you can see some of the cross cuts and sand them out. This way, when you compound then wax, the shine would be more bright.

You can see in this pic how important cross sanding is. When i finished polishing, you can see the lines. I didn't sand correctly.
32a3eac6.jpg

Fixed with cross sanding, while sanding I would see the lines and sand them out.
074a760c.jpg

You can stop at 2000 but if you want that brighter more chrome look, I would go for 2500, and if you can afford it 3000 paper. You don't wet sand with 3k, forgot why.

Another tip: The bucket of water for sanding, use dishwashing soap in there and get it sudsy. That way the sanding feels smoother and the material doesn't cling to the sandpaper as much.

Looks good! Thanks for the info. What type of compound did you end up using for polishing the wheels.

Nocture

Reaction score
I used In order:

3m rubbing compound - 03900

Mothers Billet Metal Polish

3M Shine Restorer plus Carnuba Wax - 03902

20-CG5-01

KanomNom
Reaction score
I used In order:

3m rubbing compound - 03900

Mothers Billet Metal Polish

3M Shine Restorer plus Carnuba Wax - 03902

Did you hand buff them or used an electrical buffer?

My cousin uses a lot of the 3m rubbing compound at his shop also. Might have to give that a try.

Back