Valves clacking

J30MAN

Reaction score
I've noticed my valves clacking for a while, and it's getting real annoying/embarrassing. I haven't taken a valve cover off to inspect the valve lash or for worn lifters. What should I be looking for when inspecting for extreme wear?

I was told to try a 5W-40 motor oil to see if that would be a "quick fix". Not sure if I wanna do this. Especially without knowing whats actually wrong in the heads.

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
How loud is it? In my experience a ticking noise is pretty normal for J-series motors.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
sounds normal.

you should hear my car when the radiator fans kick on or when my a/c fan is on. **** i hate this car :lawl:

J30MAN

Reaction score
sounds normal.

you should hear my car when the radiator fans kick on or when my a/c fan is on. **** i hate this car :lawl:

It just sounds like its got 300k on it. Idk.

But yeah i know what you mean. I rarely use my a/c only to circulate the freon cause i hate how it sounds haha.

2000BlackCoupe

Reaction score
well i turn it on and i just hear a million clicks, makes me thing ****s about to hit the fan

2002CG3coupe

Reaction score
Sounds like normal Honda ticking to me but just in case
When you rev does the ticking get louder throughout the rpm band if so.....yeah check your valves/fuel injector(can cause ticking sound too, might need to clean them)

RedRyder

Save the manuals
Reaction score
I thought it sounded normal until you put the mic close to the front valve cover...not sure if it seemed louder or if it was just the mic picking up white noise though.

Never hurts to check things out.

Back