P1705

J30MAN

Reaction score
A few hours ago I was messing around with my dash LEDs because my clock light was blinking. So like an idiot while the parking lights were on I used the screw driver to screw the bulb in so it wouldn't blink. And what do you think happened? I shorted it out and blew the "Back up light/Instrument light" fuse.

I replaced the fuse, turned the car on to see if it would run and to check if everything was ok. And I look to see my CEL is on. I scrolled through my UltraGauge to see P1705 - automatic transmission gear position switch circuit short to ground.

After doing some research and reading this http://www.v6performance.net/forums/6th-generation-honda-accord-1998-2002/76966-omg-cel-d4-blinks-p1705.html. I think my Range sensor is OK. And what happened is that I shorted it out along with my Clock somehow. And that it threw the code because of the temporary short.

I unplugged my battery to reset the computer after I saw the code pop up because I was freaking out.

I have only driven 5-7miles to my Mom's house so far and everything is ok. No CEL, no blinking D4. I'll check back tomorrow with an update.

001Stunna

Reaction score
From what i see the main relay sticking on can also cause such code...
NOTE: PGM-FI Main Relay Sticks in ON Position
On 1998-2002 Accords with A/T, if the PGM-FI main relay sticks in the ON position after you turn the ignition switch to LOCK (0), the PCM can repeatedly set these A/T DTCs:
P0753 (shift solenoid valve A)
P0758 (shift solenoid valve B)
P1705 (transmission range switch short to ground)
P1768 (A/T clutch pressure control solenoid valve A)

If when you move the letter from P-R-N-D-3-2-1 the respective led lights light up and nothing remains on once you've switched out of that position on the dash then your range sensor should be ok.

J30MAN

Reaction score
Like I said the car is acting completely normal ever after i unhooked the battery for a few minutes. Maybe that did the trick.

J30MAN

Reaction score
Little update. 25.1 miles on the car so far. Still running fine, no Cel or blinking D4.

J30MAN

Reaction score
Another small update. 46.5 miles on the car. And everything is still running perfect. Looks like I just shorted out the sensor accidentally.

Thanks Stunna with your always helpful response. Rep.

001Stunna

Reaction score
Another small update. 46.5 miles on the car. And everything is still running perfect. Looks like I just shorted out the sensor accidentally.

Thanks Stunna with your always helpful response. Rep.

Sounds like the car was just fawking with you for ****s n giggles :p...and glad to help anytime:thumbsup:

Back