Help with manual mode!

dynasty

Reaction score
as a noob, i need help with working on my shots. i've played with my mode before. usually daytime, i set my ISO to 100. and my shutter speed to around 1000. at night, i set my ISO to 800 with around 20-30. is there something i'm doing wrong or is those settings sound correct? (this is all outdoor settings)

also, how should i set my settings for night shots with flash? i'll be taking people pictures. help?! :skurred:

ryan s

they dont think it
Reaction score
ken rockwell :ughrun:

when you say "20-30"...is that 20-30 seconds or 1/20 to 1/30?

taking people pics with flash...do you have a flash unit or using the popup flash?

depending on how close you'll be to the people and how much control you have over the flash (diffused, bounced, etc), for direct flash your settings will probably be ISO 100, 1/180s, f/11...somewhere in there.

if you notice, already 2 of your parameters are maxed out (flash won't go over 1/180, ISO won't go below 100), so you might need to move back or especially adjust the intensity of the flash.

i always play around with the settings before taking a shot. if people know they're going to get flashed, then you get free practice :D

xluben

Reaction score
I would DEFINITELY recommend mastering manual exposure setting with natural light before you move to a flash setup.

Most modern DSLR's have an exposure meter right in the viewfinder. This will be a good place to start. Then review the histogram and adjust from there.

Back