Varnell's '99 J37 Stroker 6MT Coupe EX-L

Varnell

Reaction score
Re: Varnell's '99 V6 Coupe EX-L

Engine is out. Headers installed on the J32.

Picking this up for $100 tomorrow.

rsx.jpg

Varnell

Reaction score

Just snagged a 2003 CL-S steering wheel for $65.:party36:

image.jpg

Last edited:

bairdandrew77

Reaction score

Nice car, I'd love to have a 6th gen coupe again someday. One question, how could you dislike the tail lights??? That's probably my favorite thing about them!

Varnell

Reaction score

Nice car, I'd love to have a 6th gen coupe again someday. One question, how could you dislike the tail lights??? That's probably my favorite thing about them!

That started back when I had a sedan. Maybe just because it was different? I love the NSX style tail lights now and think it's much sportier than the sedan rear end, which I always felt was the weakest part of the sedan. It had such smooth, yet aggressive lines with a rectangular, blocky rear. lol. I started modding my car after seeing Keychain's white sedan and thought it was perfect.

Honestly, I didn't like a coupe until I saw Brent's (blackestcoupe). Then I started to pay attention to the clean coupes on here and actually like them. Two coupes later, I'm putting everything into this one.

Last edited:

Sil2DrV6

Reaction score

Saw your future plan, and this is just my 2 cents, based on my experience:

My front windshield is tinted w/ 50% film. When I drive at night, I have a hard time seeing those road imperfections from time to time. I wish I chose 60, or even 70%, since my intension was to protect myself & the dashboard from the UV.

I've never got pulled over for my windshield being tinted, but plz be careful about the visibility on the roads at night, especially when your car is that low.

Just to give you a heads-up. ;)

Varnell

Reaction score
Re: Varnell's '99 J32 6MT Coupe EX-L

I found a set of wheels that I really like. The only issue is that they're not offered in Hyper Silver. Any opinions pertaining to chrome wheels on a 6th Gen?

It'll essentially be these wheels:
10598685_1456096224672013_115872705_n.jpg

on this car:

Last edited:

White6GAV6

Reaction score

The pic is broken for the car. I'd say go for it. Chrome, polished, same thing. Chrome is just a hell of a lot easier to maintain. I think your car is black, so the chrome will be a good contrast. Worst case if you don't like them chrome, just get them power coated.

Varnell

Reaction score

Thanks, Adam. I'm just having a tough time following through with the chrome and don't want to spend another $400-800 to get them painted.

In other news I've been talking with BC Racing about their BR coilovers. They've quoted me $945 with 14k/12k rates or $1250 with Swift springs and the same rates. Either way I'll be waiting 2-3 weeks to have BC build them and another week for shipping. I know people love Swift springs, but I'm tempted to just get the BC custom springs. The coilovers are fully rebuildable and I could always upgrade to Swift springs down the road when I rebuild them. Any thoughts?

White6GAV6

Reaction score

Worst case, there is always plastidip. Are you sure the wheels are chrome? And not black chrome? I know a lot of Cosmis come in black chrome.

As for the coils, BR type coils are great. I love mine. I would also suggest going with the extreme drop kit. Idk how low you plan to go since you have the j32 and 6 speed now, but it would just give you the extra room if needed. They'll still go tall enough for function. I think it's like another $50-$75 for extreme drop.

For the springs, I've never road around on BC springs, went straight to the swifts. Swift are well worth the money if you want to go super low and run super stiff rates and keep a little ride quality. At 14/12 you're probably fine with the BC springs. If you want swifts you can always find a set of them used later on for pretty cheap.

Varnell

Reaction score

Thanks for the advice, Adam. After three weeks of waiting for them to be built, the BC Racing Extreme Drop coilovers are in the mail. Wiring is 99% completed (No CELs, just need to tidy up the wires), and I'm planning to get it inspected next week. RL BBK is ready to be installed with the coilovers. Year old FF Type II's will be up for sale soon.

I've spent the past few weeks installing window regulators, fixing the A/C, installing a new power steering hose, and gutting out extra weight. Can't wait to enter the aesthetic stages of the build.

Back